Thread: Global Search for Greek Words Possible?

Default Global Search for Greek Words Possible?

Greetings!

Is it possible in BibleWorks 9 to do a global search for specific Greek words simultaneously using the following databases: BGT, APF, OPG, ... (that is for the entire Greek corpus including the NT, LXX, Greek Apocrypha and Greek Pseudepigrapha, etc.)? If yes, how can this be done, step by step?
    Last edited by basilides; 01-26-2014 at 04:12 AM.

Yes. I believe you'll get what you want if you go to the Search menu, then Cross Version Search Mode, and select one of the Search All Same Language options. The search takes a little while because so many texts are being searched. I haven't used this very much, so I can't give you many details on it. No doubt others here will be able to do so.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default Needs More Work

Thanks, David.

I tried it out and (assuming I am not doing something wrong) it seemed to work OK, albeit cumbersomely.

This is a useful feature I hope will be streamlined / improved in BibleWorks 10, since for one thing the search results are not combined. Perhaps there is a more efficient way to do this, and it would be nice if the experts on this forum would give some step by step advice.

Default Global Search

There are technical reasons why the searches are not combined. The Search Results Window lists verses according to a single main version and that version's versification system. It would be difficult to include many search results there that have different versification systems--and in the case of extra-biblical texts, completely different book names. The current system seemed to be the best way to handle the complexity of the texts.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

This questions has been asked many times and many ways. For an extensive recent discussion of this issue see Can I do a Greek word study with BW9 (Philo, Josephus, Pseudepigrapha, Septuagint)?
    Mark Eddy

Default Yes, but ...

The reason this has been asked so many times: it would be, if streamlined and more user-friendly (i.e., explained step by step), a very useful feature.

It have finally got some global results after trial and error and fiddling around with this or that option, but the procedure is somewhat convoluted and time-consuming.

P.s.: BibleWorks is still by far the best of the big three, but it could use a little more streamlining / simplification. Just a suggestion, from a loyal customer.