Thread: Best way to search for verses with every letter of the Hebrew or Greek alphabets?

Hybrid View

Default Best way to search for verses with every letter of the Hebrew or Greek alphabets?

What is the best way to search for verses with contain every letter of the Hebrew or Greek alphabets in BWks? I found an Accordance blog post about this, but can't find an equivalent for BWks. (My interest is mainly in the Hebrew, but my guess is the approach will be the same for either Hebrew or Greek.) There are also a couple web pages that list such for the Hebrew Bible.

I have hunted, searched for this in the forums, but failed to turn up a previous thread, although I would have thought it might have come up over the years. Thanks for any help with this!

Quote Originally Posted by doc_dave View Post
    What is the best way to search for verses with contain every letter of the Hebrew or Greek alphabets in BWks? I found an Accordance blog post about this, but can't find an equivalent for BWks. (My interest is mainly in the Hebrew, but my guess is the approach will be the same for either Hebrew or Greek.) There are also a couple web pages that list such for the Hebrew Bible.

I have hunted, searched for this in the forums, but failed to turn up a previous thread, although I would have thought it might have come up over the years. Thanks for any help with this!
    I don't know if this is the right logical search for it or not, but this is what I tried

Set version to BGT
    Command Lane: .*a* *b* *g* (through the whole alphabet)
    and I got quite a number of LXX hit results, but it also returned the Mat 5:30 and Rev 2:10 verse. So that must be one way to search for it properly. Be careful though, it's a pretty tedious search, so it does slow down for a bit.

If you wanted to do Hebrew, just do the same thing, but set the version for WTT and then type through the Hebrew alphabet.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default works for me, too

So basically the same technique as the Accordance post - I wondered if BWks would have had some powerful command line thing, on the analogy of regular expressions. But this works!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    ...Be careful though, it's a pretty tedious search, so it does slow down for a bit...
    Yep - maxed my CPU for three or four minutes (antique Toshiba laptop, so not a suprise). Did it good to have a bit of exercise - took the temp up by about 7C, too. (I'm on Linux Mint here.)

Thanks for this!
    Last edited by doc_dave; 01-18-2014 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by doc_dave View Post
    So basically the same technique as the Accordance post - I wondered if BWks would have had some powerful command line thing, on the analogy of regular expressions. But this works!
    There almost always are multiple ways to do something, so I wouldn't rule out that there are other ways to do this. It just happened to be the first way I tried and since it worked, I posted it.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!