Thread: searching for 1st singular cohortatives

Default searching for 1st singular cohortatives

I'm trying to running a search in WTM for the 1st singular cohortatives in the Psalms.

Could you help me refine my search code?

At first I thought this was it:

'*@v?i1cs+S????J?C*

But this returns hits such as the verbs eqra' in Psalm 3:5, or emmot in Psalm 10:6. Those appear to be normal imperfect verbs, not imperfect cohortatives.

Any guidance? Thanks very much.

Dan Witte

A couple of things jump out at me. First, the capital "S" indicates that you want a pronominal suffix. Based on what you said you were searching for, I don't think you do. Also, the asterisk after the cohortative "C" will bring up hits classified as cohortative in meaning even if they are not cohortative in form, and I'm not sure if you want that. That said, I have no idea why those two hits are coming up in Psalms 3 and 10. You might try tweaking those two things, but I don't know that it will solve your problem.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Default Jussive tag

Dan, when you specify J? it will also find Jx which means NOT jussive. The morph tags are fixed field so all verbs have a jussive code. Non jussive verbs just have a Jx placeholder. What you want is Jf or Jb or Jm or a combination like J[bf].

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Witte View Post
    I'm trying to running a search in WTM for the 1st singular cohortatives in the Psalms.

Could you help me refine my search code?

At first I thought this was it:

'*@v?i1cs+S????J?C*

But this returns hits such as the verbs eqra' in Psalm 3:5, or emmot in Psalm 10:6. Those appear to be normal imperfect verbs, not imperfect cohortatives.

Any guidance? Thanks very much.

Dan Witte

Thanks much, gentlemen.

I revised to '*@v?i1cs+S????JxC[bf]*

I think I have it now (122 hits in the Psalms), but I'd still be grateful if you or others see any way to improve this search. Thanks again.

Dan Witte

I don't do this type of search very often, so it's interesting to learn from reading this thread. I tried copying the search string '*@v?i1cs+S????JxC[bf]* and pasting it into the Command Line, with the search version set to WTM and the search limited to Psalms. I got the error message "Could not find the verse reference "'*@v?i1cs+S???" in the current search version." It seems to think this is a verse search, for one thing, and it truncates the pasted search string. When I type in the search string, though, it works fine, and produces 122 results. So does this kind of pasting not work on the Command Line?
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I don't do this type of search very often, so it's interesting to learn from reading this thread. I tried copying the search string '*@v?i1cs+S????JxC[bf]* and pasting it into the Command Line, with the search version set to WTM and the search limited to Psalms. I got the error message "Could not find the verse reference "'*@v?i1cs+S???" in the current search version." It seems to think this is a verse search, for one thing, and it truncates the pasted search string. When I type in the search string, though, it works fine, and produces 122 results. So does this kind of pasting not work on the Command Line?
    Pasting in a search should work, but be sure you type a period first, so that BW knows to search for a word, not for a Bible reference.
    Mark Eddy

Well, the pasted search string starts with ', which ought to signal that it's not a verse reference. I tried pasting it in and replacing the ' with . but I still got the same error. Perhaps I'm not quite understanding the process.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Well, the pasted search string starts with ', which ought to signal that it's not a verse reference. I tried pasting it in and replacing the ' with . but I still got the same error. Perhaps I'm not quite understanding the process.
    This will only sound like I'm confirming the obvious since experience is even better than my word, but pasting into the command line doesn't work. You have to type things out. I don't know why that's the case, but it's always been that way to my memory. At least I remember having tried it before when others have posted search strings here in the past. I think it's because the command line sort of takes the characters one at a time as you type them to know whether it's using Greek, Hebrew or Latin alphabet, etc.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Copying command line

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    This will only sound like I'm confirming the obvious since experience is even better than my word, but pasting into the command line doesn't work. You have to type things out. I don't know why that's the case, but it's always been that way to my memory. At least I remember having tried it before when others have posted search strings here in the past. I think it's because the command line sort of takes the characters one at a time as you type them to know whether it's using Greek, Hebrew or Latin alphabet, etc.
    If you right click on the command line and select "save command line" it will produce a file that can be posted or e-mailed and easily copied back to someone else's command line.
    Mike

OK: (1) I tried Save command line, saved it to a file, and then Load a command line, loaded that same file -- and got that same error message!

(2) I've often pasted verse references to the Command Line, and that works fine. I can also paste English search terms and they work fine. This works whether I include the opening punctuation (. or ' etc.) in the copied command, or just the words, after doing the initial . or ' in BW. However, I find that it won't work if the initial ' is a "smart" (curving) apostrophe; it has to be a plain straight one. A smart apostrophe gives that same error message.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia