Thread: Read transcribed MSS in uncials?

Default Read transcribed MSS in uncials?

I think the answer is no, but is it possible to read the transcriptions of the MSS with the original uncials as the display font? (i.e., in the browse window) I realize I can just look at the images in their original hand, but I'm wondering specifically about transcriptions.

Also, I know that some of the MSS are morphologically tagged, but just want to confirm that it's the transcriptions themselves that are tagged, right? I.e., the images are tagged with verse references, but there's not a way to see a word's tagging/morphology directly from a MSS image?

I'm guessing that the answer probably is in fact No. If you really want to see what it looks like in at least pseudo-uncials, you could copy a section of text, paste it into a word processor, and use the word processor's case-change function to make it all caps. E.g., in Word, select the text and then on the Home tab click the Aa button (Change Case) and select UPPERCASE. In Nota Bene, select the text and then on the Edit menu select Case > Change to Uppercase; or, more simply, hold down Ctrl+Shift+Alt and hit the spacebar to uppercase the selection. You might even do a global find-and-replace to remove all the spaces.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

This raises an interesting question for me. Deep in the bowels of BW (well, not so deep...), there is a number of true type fonts (including Sinaiticus and Washingtonensis) that would seem to have been made for this very purpose. There are also a number of fonts for Hebrew, including paleo Hebrew, and other languages. What is their purpose? Can they be used in a word processor and/or for reading texts in BW?

As it stands now, the font name can't simply be pasted into Word, so they don't seem to be fulfilling any particular function. Perhaps someone could explain their use and, maybe even see if they can be used for what Abraham would like to do.

Best wishes for the new year!

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France
    Last edited by Donald Cobb; 01-04-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Good question. I tried copying some Greek text to a word processor, selecting it, and changing the font to one of those you mentioned. It only produced some breathing marks, no letters, in either Nota Bene or Word.

Likewise, happy new year to all!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia