Thread: Stats problem

Default Stats problem

Hello all,

In preparing a course on Romans, I'm redoing some of my research work. I noticed that when I do an either/or query on πιστις OR πιστευω, I come up with 64 hits. This contrasts with 61 hits in Accordance. The discrepancy is found in Rm 3.22; 4.5 and 4.11. In my results window, these verses come up as each having 3 hits. In actual fact, they only have 2.

Do others come up with these same results? I would wish to have confirmation before reporting the problem officially. If this glitch is general, it would certainly need to be fixed as other similar results would no doubt be skewed as well.

Regards,

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Interesting. I just did a command-line search on search version BGM with limit set to Romans and search term /πιστις πιστευω. The result was 61 hits, including 2 in each of the 3 verses that you name. I get the same result using NA28-M as the search version. So I cannot confirm the issue. This is with BW 9.0.12.479.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default Command line options

Main menu,
    Tools
    Options
    Command Line Search Options
    Compute Search Window hits by permutation

If "Compute Search Window hits by permutation" is checked, the count in Romans is 64; if it is not checked, the count is 61.

In BGM and WHM, I came up with 64 hits. In BYM, I came up with 63 hits (for some reason, the πιστεύειν in 15:13 doesn't show as a hit). And the additional hits appear to be in the same verses you mention.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    Main menu,
    Tools
    Options

If "Compute Search Window hits by permutation" is checked, the count in Romans is 64; if it is not checked, the count is 61.
    Interesting. From the Help menu:

If this option is set, Command Line search hits will be computed by permutation. Statistics for hits will include the various combinations of words possible with the search criteria. If this is turned off, the number of hits will be the same as the number of words highlighted.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Main menu,
    Tools
    Options

Interesting. From the Help menu:
    If this option is set, Command Line search hits will be computed by permutation. Statistics for hits will include the various combinations of words possible with the search criteria. If this is turned off, the number of hits will be the same as the number of words highlighted.
    Interesting indeed. I find the same thing (searching with BGM). Moreover, in each of the three verses where there is a difference between the two settings (Rom 3:22; 4:5, 11) there are two actual hits, one of them a form of πιστις and the other a form of πιστευω. In verses that have two forms of either, but not both, of those words (e.g., Rom 3:30; 4:16), the hit count is two. So the "permutations" count has something to do with the presence of both of the either/or terms. If someone who knows more than I do about statistics (not a difficult attainment!) would enlighten us on this point, I would find it ... well, enlightening.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Main menu,
    Tools
    Options

Jim,

Wonderful. I had never, never paid any attention at all to this! So there is still much to be learned about BW! This function perhaps deserves to be a little clearer because I would imagine that by default, most people would not want the computation by permutation checked.

Many thanks!

Don Cobb