Thread: Bibleworks on MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Default Bibleworks on MacBook Pro with Retina Display

I just made the switch to Mac, to a MacBook Pro with a Retina display. I'm wondering what people's experience with running BW9 is regarding the quality of the fonts? Some programs that aren't "optimized" for Retina displays still look pretty good, but others look incredibly grainy or pixelated. I know Logos looks nice and crisp (even Logos 4); Accordance even though built for Mac has a fuzzier pixelated look. How do the fonts in BW9 look? Any difference between running the native and in a virtual emulator?

I was running BW8 on my old laptop, just trying to decide if it's worth upgrading to BW9 at the moment. Thanks!

Here is a screenshot of each of the programs you mentioned side by side on MBP 15" Retina display. I do not know if this provides a sufficient comparison. I personally find BW 9 font display fine, however if you increase the size of the fonts they go to bold. The Mac version has improved greatly, and I expect it to continue to do so. The other option is boot camp or an emulator such as parallels.

I also do not find the way Accordance looks a problem as some of their users do. Some find it unusable, so it may be my eyes or age that allows me to be more tolerant of the way it displays. In other words, user experiences will vary.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-12-14 at 6.16.49 AM.png
Views: 396
Size:  1.07 MB

Here is another shot using Gentium as the font in all the programs.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-12-14 at 6.34.46 AM.png
Views: 390
Size:  1.52 MB

Default Wine font optimization

I'm a long-time BW user but have just done my first installation (of BW9) on a Mac. Things have gone surprisingly well. My only gripe is that BW9's fonts on my Mac's display are a little fuzzier than on native Mac apps.

When I've run Windows apps under Linux, I used to be able to tweak the display by running a bash script in a terminal. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/27120...nder-crossover

My question: Has this sort of optimization already been done? I see that there were some font improvements for the Mac "version" of BW9 earlier this year.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dhave View Post
    I'm a long-time BW user but have just done my first installation (of BW9) on a Mac. Things have gone surprisingly well. My only gripe is that BW9's fonts on my Mac's display are a little fuzzier than on native Mac apps.

When I've run Windows apps under Linux, I used to be able to tweak the display by running a bash script in a terminal. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/27120...nder-crossover

My question: Has this sort of optimization already been done? I see that there were some font improvements for the Mac "version" of BW9 earlier this year.

Thanks.
    Hello dhave,

That's an excellent question. I personally knew nothing about font smoothing until reading your post. Being more of a driver than a mechanic, I wouldn't want to be the first to do attempt that, but if you decide to try, I'd be very interested in hearing about your experience!

Regards,

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Is there anyway to improve the display fonts of BW on MBPR?
    The fonts are fuzzy.
    Are there any fonts that work better on MBPR?

I really want to use BW as my primary research software, but using BW on Mac is not a pleasant experience at all due to the fuzzy fonts.
    Martin Zhang