Thread: Search in greek and hebrew simultanously

Default Search in greek and hebrew simultanously

Is it posible to search the Word Jehova and kurios in the LXX simultanously? To see for example how many time is Jehova translated to kurios? Or we have to do the comparison manualy?

Thank you in advance,

Three ways come to mind immediately:

1. The Parallel Hebrew/LXX Database (Topic 48 in BW9's online help). I suggest reading that help section, especially the section on "Finding Hebrew - Greek Equivalents".
    2. You could run separate searches on the Hebrew and LXX databases, saving both results to the Word List Manager, and use the WLM to compare the verse lists to identify which verses contain both YHWH and kurios, or only one or the other. See topic 43 in BW9's online help.
    3. You can use the Graphical Search Engine to find verses in which Hebrew uses YHWH and LXX also uses kurios. See Topics 38-41 in BW9's online help.

I strongly recommend #1, since it attempts to match Hebrew and LXX word to word (or word to phrase, etc.).
    #2 and #3 both just tell you whether the words occur in the same verse of the two versions, not whether kurios is used to translate YHWH. I don't know how much these are affected by the problems in mapping LXX to Hebrew verses.

All 3 ways involve a learning curve; all three are very useful tools that are worth your while to learn how to use if you wish to be able to exploit BW's immense powers.

#2 (Word List Manager) is the easiest to learn, in my opinion.
    #1 (Tov-Polak Parallel-Aligned Greek-Hebrew Old Testament) is more complicated.
    #3 (The Graphical Search Engine) is a frightening thing at first glance, but if you invest a bit of time in making its acquaintance it can be a good friend.

-Jim Wert

Default Search in greek and hebrew simultanously

Thank you very much; was very helpful.

Default Lxx/Hebrew equivalents

Yes, following these menu choices:

• Resources/Parallel Hebrew-LXX
    • Find LXX/Hebrew equivalents (3rd icon on menu bar)
    • Type yhwh in the box for the Hebrew lemma and kurios in the box for the Greek lemma
    • Press ENTER to do the search

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)