Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I do a Greek word study with BW9 (Philo, Josephus, Pseudepigrapha, Septuagint)?

i tried to do something different by searching using the english word blasphemy in the NIV. I only got the occurrences of the word in English bible translations, and not any from other literature.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

sorry, i've to admit i'm quite lost and confused. and it's frustrating.

i'm trying to follow the instructions here to see if i can work out a solution.

http://www.bibleworks.com/classroom/1_5_tabs/index.html

for tabs 1-8, i think i understand what it means to "using the BGM as the search version and BGT as the display version for most tabs."

however, for tabs 9-11, if i don't select BGM and BGT, how do i click for "blasphemy" in Matt 12:31 and search for "blasphemy" in Josephus for example?

thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by swooshiex View Post
    Thank you all for the help! I'm still having trouble. Here's what I have done so far:

I have selected Philo, Josephus, etc. etc. in "Choose Display Version"
    I have selected Search and Display all same language versions in "Choose Search Version"
    I have tried selecting NIV in "Choose Search Version." Then I tried selecting NA28 in "Choose Search Version"
    I selected Search on Lemma for the NA28 greek word "blasphemy"

I saw the search running but this "Cross Version Search Results" window popped up. There was GNM BNM etc... hits verses description...

but I did not get any results for Philo, Josephus, etc.

I looked up BDAG and I know that this word appears in quite a few of their writings.

What have I done wrong?
    On your screen shot I do not see the "Cross Version Search Results" window. Did you close it? Or did it not come up on this search? If it did appear, did you scroll all the way down the list of Greek versions? There are a lot of Greek New Testaments, and the non-biblical texts display after most of the biblical versions display in the Cross Version Search Results window. I did a cross version search on the Greek: .blasfhm* and got 26 hits in APM, 68 hits in JOM, 6 hits in OPM, and 23 hits in PHM. You will not see these hits under the search line automatically. You have to click on the line in the Cross Version Search Results window for the various versions individually before you will see the list of verses for the non-biblical versions. Does this help?
    Mark Eddy

i tried to do something different by searching using the english word blasphemy in the NIV. I only got the occurrences of the word in English bible translations, and not any from other literature.
    When you search "all same language versions," and your search version is English, you will get a list of only English language versions. If your search version is Greek, you will get a list of only Greek versions, etc. But when I search for .blasphemy in PHE (Philo in English) with "Search and Display All Same Language Versions" checked, then the Cross Version Search Results window includes not only biblical versions but APE (apostolic fathers in English), JAM & HOM (NT pseudepigrapha), OPE (OT psedepigrapha), PHE (Philo in English, only 2 hits), but no Josephus. When I checked my hits on JOM in Greek (in a previous search) I noticed that the translation does not use the exact word "blasphemy." In English you cannot do a lemma search. So when you search .blasphemy you will not get any hits for "blasphemies" or any other spelling of the word. Whiston's translation of Josephus prefers to use the word "reproach." So even though the Greek word is used, it is not translated as "blasphemy" in English. So you really need to do the search in Greek.
    Mark Eddy

however, for tabs 9-11, if i don't select BGM and BGT, how do i click for "blasphemy" in Matt 12:31 and search for "blasphemy" in Josephus for example?
    Two options: 1) make JOM the search version, and you can search for .blasfhmia (in Greek). You have to do the search in Greek on the command line in this case, since (as I wrote in the previous post) the Whiston translation of Josephus does not use the word "blasphemy."
    Alternatively, 2) if you have chosen "Search and display all same language versions," and Mat 12:31 is in your browse window, and a Greek Bible version is also one of the display versions, and you right-click on the Greek word blasfhmia and chose "search on lemma", then the Cross Version Search Results window does list JOM (with 24 hits).
    Mark Eddy

i figured that it would be better if i attached a print screen with this post.

i'm wondering if the problem is because i've chosen too many display versions? i've tried ticking all of them, APE APF etc.

or have i made some error in my selection of the display versions?
    There is no problem caused by a large number of display versions. I sometimes have over 50 display versions selected (for biblical texts). When you choose "search and display all same language versions" then all same language versions of the Bible will display together, even if you did not previously choose them as display versions. But since these display by verses, and non-biblical texts do not contain any of the same verses as the Bible versions, you will never see any non-biblical texts in the same browse window with biblical texts. And likewise, since no Bible version contains any verses of Josephus or Philo, when you have either one of those in your browse window, you will not see any biblical versions (or the other Greek versions either) in your browse window. But when you click on the JOM or PHM lines in the Cross Version Search Results window, then all the "verses" in that version will display in the list under the command line, and the first verse in that list will display in the browse window in only the non-biblical version you chose. Is this making sense?
    Mark Eddy

i figured that it would be better if i attached a print screen with this post.

i'm wondering if the problem is because i've chosen too many display versions? i've tried ticking all of them, APE APF etc.

or have i made some error in my selection of the display versions?
    Hello Swooshiex,

Looking at your screenshot, I see that you have your search version set for the morphological text of Sinaiticus (M-01A-m) and the limits set for "New Testament" (you'll see that in the lowermost pane of BW). That means that, no matter what search you do, only the versions that have the New Testament books will be searched. In other words, Philo, Josephus, etc., will be automatically excluded.

Try using BGM as your search version (just write BGM in the search pane and enter), remove all book limits (just type L in the search pane and enter) and, if your search is set for "Search and prune all same language versions", that should give you the results you're looking for.

Blessings,

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France