Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I do a Greek word study with BW9 (Philo, Josephus, Pseudepigrapha, Septuagint)?

Default Can I do a Greek word study with BW9 (Philo, Josephus, Pseudepigrapha, Septuagint)?

Can I do a Greek word study with BW9? I need to access Philo, Josephus, Pseudepigrapha, Septuagint. Will I be able to do so in BW9? Thank you!

I need to find out how the terms are used in the writings above and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by swooshiex View Post
    Can I do a Greek word study with BW9? I need to access Philo, Josephus, Pseudepigrapha, Septuagint. Will I be able to do so in BW9? Thank you!
    Of course. All those are included in the base package.

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Default a quick start to Greek word studies

I share the attached handout with our New Testament students. It's the 'quickest' way to get into search the different Greek texts in BibleWorks. There's more you can do, of course, but when I only have a 1/2 hour to instruct students on using BW, this is what I use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Thumbs up

thank you so much! this is awesome and so helpful!!!

that avatar is very cool by the way!

I'm trying to do a word study on blasphemy (NA28 - greek form) in Matt 12:31.

I used View > Choose Display Versions to add Josephus and Josephus Morphology, Philo and and Philo Morphology, OT Greek Pseudipegrapha, Apostolic Fathers, etc. However, these didn't show up on my browse window. At the moment, I'm only seeing my existing english and greek versions in the browse window.

I still went ahead to do a search on lemma for the greek word of blasphemy and nothing new showed up.

What have I done wrong? Or does this word so happen to not appear anywhere else?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by swooshiex View Post
    What have I done wrong? Or does this word so happen to not appear anywhere else?

Thank you!

See this link. You need to change the search limit to either Search and Display All Same Language Versions or Search and Prune All Same Language Versions when you do the morph search.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    See this link. You need to change the search limit to either Search and Display All Same Language Versions or Search and Prune All Same Language Versions when you do the morph search.
    I have also found it helpful to set up separate tabs for each of the non-biblical versions mentioned. I.e. a tab for the Apostolic Fathers (Greek and English), a tab for Josephus (Greek and English), a tab for Philo (Greek and English), and a tab for Michael Hanel's classical databases, and a tab for Pseudepigrapha, in addition to your tab for biblical Greek (using BGT/BGM). In addition, I set my Philo tab automatically to "Search and Display All Same Language Versions," but I leave the biblical tab to search only the one search version, so that if I want to check out a word across the databases, I do not lose the biblical passage I am studying in that tab, but if I do not want to study the word outside the Bible I do not have to go through the extra steps which the cross-version search needs. Once you do the search for all same language versions, there is a separate window which lists the number of hits in each version. But you have to click on each version individually in order to see the list of verses. If you want to look at all the data quickly, displaying the non-biblical databases in separate tabs speeds up the process.
    Mark Eddy

Thank you all for the help! I'm still having trouble. Here's what I have done so far:

I have selected Philo, Josephus, etc. etc. in "Choose Display Version"
    I have selected Search and Display all same language versions in "Choose Search Version"
    I have tried selecting NIV in "Choose Search Version." Then I tried selecting NA28 in "Choose Search Version"
    I selected Search on Lemma for the NA28 greek word "blasphemy"

I saw the search running but this "Cross Version Search Results" window popped up. There was GNM BNM etc... hits verses description...

but I did not get any results for Philo, Josephus, etc.

I looked up BDAG and I know that this word appears in quite a few of their writings.

What have I done wrong? I urgently need help with this. Thank you so much!

i figured that it would be better if i attached a print screen with this post.

i'm wondering if the problem is because i've chosen too many display versions? i've tried ticking all of them, APE APF etc.

or have i made some error in my selection of the display versions?
    Attached Images Attached Images