Thread: Transfer interrupted : The internet connection was broken

Default Transfer interrupted : The internet connection was broken

Hi all - I'm running BWks 9 under Wine 1.7.4 (under Ubuntu 13.04), and the functionality of BibleWorks is great. (Hurrah!)

I'm having trouble with the online updating and module activation, though. In either scenario, I get the error message in the subject line: "Transfer interrupted / The internet connection was broken". I have tried configuring Wine with different flavours of Windows, but it makes no difference.

The only information I could find out about this error in the forums was in an old thread from 2007, subject line "Patching under Vista". The suggestions and fixes there don't seem applicable in my case.

Is there any current advice on how to deal with this problem? I live in hope! Thanks for any help with this.

Default Updater Problems

Quote Originally Posted by doc_dave View Post
    Hi all - I'm running BWks 9 under Wine 1.7.4 (under Ubuntu 13.04), and the functionality of BibleWorks is great. (Hurrah!)

I'm having trouble with the online updating and module activation, though. In either scenario, I get the error message in the subject line: "Transfer interrupted / The internet connection was broken". I have tried configuring Wine with different flavours of Windows, but it makes no difference.

The only information I could find out about this error in the forums was in an old thread from 2007, subject line "Patching under Vista". The suggestions and fixes there don't seem applicable in my case.

Is there any current advice on how to deal with this problem? I live in hope! Thanks for any help with this.
    Don't use the updater until we post another notice here. We just updated to Windows 8.1 and they have done something to break the code that we use to post updates. We will get it fixed as soon as we can.

Thanks,
    Mike

You can try it now. We have temporarily moved the updater to a Windows 8 machine. Please post here if it still doesn't work.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    You can try it now. We have temporarily moved the updater to a Windows 8 machine. Please post here if it still doesn't work.
    Hope sprang ... but was dashed. Alas, I get the same message "broken" message. Interesting to know there was an issue at your end; it seems as if this one is at mine. Any other suggestions gratefully received!

David.

Default broken internet connection

Hope sprang ... but was dashed. Alas, I get the same message "broken" message. Interesting to know there was an issue at your end; it seems as if this one is at mine. Any other suggestions gratefully received!

David.
    Make sure that you have a good internet connection. If you do then try the update one more time. Is your browser working OK? If it is I would suggest contacting Tech Support at service@bibleworks.com.

Mike

I'm also having trouble with the Updater. I'm running BW 9 on a HP Laptop with Windows 7. I am attaching a screenshot with the error message that I get. I was trying to update to the latest BW Executable file.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yesterday BW froze for me after updating. But I tried it again today, and it worked fine. I too am running BW9 on an HP laptop with Windows 7.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Make sure that you have a good internet connection. If you do then try the update one more time. Is your browser working OK? If it is I would suggest contacting Tech Support at service@bibleworks.com.
    Thanks Mike. Internet connection is blazing (hardwired to JANET), and clicking Help > BWks on the Internet > BWks Home Page works just fine (as does any other browsing).

I'll follow up with Tech Support as you suggest. Will report any progress back in this thread.

Thumbs up Not 'solved', but working!

I have kept checking with the online updater since reporting this problem. Here's my latest:

(1) There was no way to get automated module activation, but the "manual" workaround works just fine.

(2) Although I continue to get the "internet connection was broken" when checking for "BW on the internet > Check for updates", when I click "OK", everything proceeds just fine. I just updated to 9.0.12.472 with no trouble at all.

So - still an annoyance, but at least it's working! And it is great to be able to use BWks under Linux (Ubuntu) so I'm a happy camper.