Thread: Asyndetic phrases in Paul

Default Asyndetic phrases in Paul

Hello all,

I'm trying to find a way of isolating asyndetic phrases in the Pauline epistles. Theoretically, it shouldn't be too difficult, but I'm having trouble.

My initial thought was that I would need to to use the GSE with the following setup:
    - Box 1: (BGM) *@* (specifying position: "1 from beginning"
    - Box 2: plug in a previous iel search on δε, μεν, γαρ, ουν, γε and set this box to "Invert results (NOT)"
    - connecting box with "exactly 0"

That, theoretically, should take care of all the verses with post-positive particles in second position. This is what it looks like:

Name:  Asyndeton.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  183.2 KB

However, as can be seen by looking at the list, these particles aren't filtered out! So there's a first problem.

Secondly, I would still need to find a way to filter out post-positive particles in 3d (or 4th) place, then, thirdly, filtering out phrases beginning with και, αλλα, αρα, etc.

Any thoughts?

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Default Does this do the job?

1. I used your list of postpositive particles and created an IEL file.
    2. I created a list of conjunctions (searching for .*@c*) and created an IEL file from it. (That list includes both coordinating and subordinating conjunctions. (Use .*@cc* for just coordinating conjunctions)
    3. I've attached the QF file I used at the bottom, and there is a view of it below.
    4. Note that what I have basically done is used your search but run it as a subquery, then I used the NOT to invert all the results. (Ie, I found all the syndetic phrases and then had the results inverted.)
    5. Also note that I expanded the word merge to "at most 4" for those odd instances when a postpositive shows up a few words later.
    6. The box with the +/- και@* is the IEL list of all conjunctions marked as being in the first position.

This is not exactly what you want since the search is conducted on the basis of verses rather than of sentences. So, a verse like Romans 3.4 is excluded because of δὲ in the 4th position: μὴ γένοιτο γινέσθω δὲ...
    Name:  bw.asyndetic.png
Views: 64
Size:  76.5 KB

asyndetic phrases.qf
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    1. I used your list of postpositive particles and created an IEL file.
    2. I created a list of conjunctions (searching for .*@c*) and created an IEL file from it. (That list includes both coordinating and subordinating conjunctions. (Use .*@cc* for just coordinating conjunctions)
    3. I've attached the QF file I used at the bottom, and there is a view of it below.
    4. Note that what I have basically done is used your search but run it as a subquery, then I used the NOT to invert all the results. (Ie, I found all the syndetic phrases and then had the results inverted.)
    5. Also note that I expanded the word merge to "at most 4" for those odd instances when a postpositive shows up a few words later.
    6. The box with the +/- και@* is the IEL list of all conjunctions marked as being in the first position.

Thank you Mark! I appreciate your reply.

Curiously, I'm not coming up with the same results. There's obviously something I'm not doing right, but I'm in the middle of a very busy period and can't devote much energy to this at present. I'm going to spend a little more time on it as I get freed up, and probably get back to you.

Again, thanks.

Don Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France