Thread: Greek and Hebrew copyrights

Default Greek and Hebrew copyrights

I'm having trouble locating the copyright allowances if I wanted to reproduce (say) the entire Greek text of the letters of 123 John for a commentary. Since there are different Greek texts, are there different copyright availabilities? Where would I find this info? Thanks.

Gary

Default Copyrights

From the help menu there is a menu entry for bibliographic information and for copyright information. Also mousing over the version identifier in the browse window will show the information in the analysis pane. Really straight-forward.
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu

Default Greek Text copyrights

Quote Originally Posted by SkipB View Post
    From the help menu there is a menu entry for bibliographic information and for copyright information. Also mousing over the version identifier in the browse window will show the information in the analysis pane. Really straight-forward.
    Thanks for your help. Mousing over doesn't give as much or all the same info., but I see the point.

So now, let me ask this a different way. Looking up the info in the Help menu, it appears that the only Greek texts that I can reproduce in a commentary for sale would be BFT/BYZ, or WHT, or ALF. If somebody knows better than that, I'd be happy to be corrected.

Both Westcott-Hort (1881) and Alford's (1849-1861, revised from 1863-1878) texts appear to be available, but that is not stated outright in either description. I did not know if the statement for ALF--- "compiled in BibleWorks by Pasquale Amicarelli, proofread 14 february 2012, release 3"---- would alter that.

Just as a point of interest, ALF info appears in the Analysis window with mouse over, but not in the help menu in the Database Sources.

Thanks,
    Gary

Since copyright is a complex issue, I'd suggest that you contact BW directly for clarification.
    My guess would be that you might need formal permission from BW and from whoever they got permission from to include a given version in BW.
    If you do check this out further I'd appreciate hearing back on this forum.

--Jim

Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    Mousing over doesn't give as much or all the same info., but I see the point.

I did not know if the statement for ALF--- "compiled in BibleWorks by Pasquale Amicarelli, proofread 14 february 2012, release 3"---- would alter that.

Just as a point of interest, ALF info appears in the Analysis window with mouse over, but not in the help menu in the Database Sources.
    This is because ALF is a user-created database, not one for sale. So the electronic version has no copyright information given in Help, because it does not come originally with BibleWorks.
    Mark Eddy