Thread: Searching the NT for Accents and breaching marks - a question (urgent)

Hybrid View

Default Searching the NT for Accents and breaching marks - a question (urgent)

Dear Friends,
    I'm checking the accents and breathing marks of a Greek text and want to compare it with the Greek text of NT-Byz (Rp 2005), that means I compare this text with Byz and want to know whether all breathing marks or accents are correct. Therefore I check Teststellen (Test passages) with Words e.g. with Iota subscriptum. Now I want to search for all Words containing a Iota subscriptum in BibleWorks (Byz). Is this possible - I haven'd found how it works by now. I know, that searching for Accents has to be clicked in the GSE. But that's all. So is it possible to search for Words with a certain Accent/Breathing mark (Akut/Gravis/Circumflext/Spritus) just to have Teststellen?
    All help is welcome - please answer soon as the Greek text has to be submitted soon.
    Yours in Christ !
    Peter

Default Accent searching

Peter, this is from the Help files. Is this what you need?

Including Vowel Points in Hebrew Searches and Accents in Greek
    If you are searching on a Hebrew Text version or on a Hebrew Morphology version you can tell BibleWorks that you want to include vowel points in the search. If you are searching on a Greek/Hebrew Text version or on a Greek/Hebrew Morphology version you can tell BibleWorks that you want to include accents in the search. This is done by clicking on the Command Line with the RIGHT mouse button. Choose the appropriate context menu option to enable or disable vowel point or accent searching. If this option is active, Search Window Word Lists will include vowel points or accents and you will also have to include vowel points or accents when you make entries on the Command Line. In this mode, there is some ambiguity in keyboard usage. Some of the Hebrew vowels and Greek accents are located on keys normally used to enter wildcards or grouping and control characters. To solve this problem the <Insert> key is used as a dead key for entering these control characters.

When you press the <Insert> key, a red blinking light will appear in the upper right hand corner of the Command Line to indicate that the next key typed will be a control character. The version label on the button to the left of the Command Line will have an asterisk after the version label if you have vowel point or accent searching active. The <Insert> key will function as described here only when vowel point or accent searching is active and when a Hebrew or Greek version is the current search version. Keep in mind that in this mode wildcards will match either vowels or consonants.
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu

Default Highlighting lost

Well the blanks in that last post were highlighted words, most the word "accents."
    Sorry.
    SkipB

RJ Blackburn

Quote Originally Posted by SkipB View Post
    Well the blanks in that last post were highlighted words, most the word "accents."
    Sorry.
    Dear SkipB,
    thank you ! I've gone through this and it's clear so far. A question: is it possible to search on all words containing a Iota subscriptum (or any other Accent/breathing mark), without a Connection to a certain letter ? Simply all words with a Iota Sub. ? That would be great - I coulnd't realize this so far.
    Any further help is appreciated, even if such a query is *not* possible.
    Yours
    Peter

Default It seems to work...

I tried it in GNT, press insert so the red dot is blinking. Then type .(period)*(asterisk)|("pipe" on shifted \) it should yield all words ending in a letter with a iota subscript.
    SkipB

RJ Blackburn

Quote Originally Posted by SkipB View Post
    I tried it in GNT, press insert so the red dot is blinking. Then type .(period)*(asterisk)|("pipe" on shifted \) it should yield all words ending in a letter with a iota subscript.
    Hello Peter,

I had the same idea as SkipB when I read you email, but haven't been able to reproduce a subscript iota in the search pane. Perhaps it's just me--I seem to recall that the Mac version of BW9 may have some issues with that, although I wasn't able to do it in my Parallels version either... Hope it works for you.

Best regards,

Don
    Aix-en-Provence, France