Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text Display in Browse Window

Default Text Display in Browse Window

Is it my imagination or has BW9 recently changed the way text is displayed in the Browse Window? Up until very recently, while in Browse Mode, I was able to type in a range of verses (say Acts 9:1-10) and the verses would display as one continuous block (without line divisions). However, all searches are now displaying the results each verse on a new line (KJV style).

I went to Tools>Options>General>Flags>Browse Window Configuration Options thinking I would (surely) find a box controlling this display feature. If it is there, I don't see it. The "Remove CLRF characters from Browse Window Export" box does not control the display, only the export. I've searched several other places and I don't see a control for the display.

Now, I do realize that I can set the COPY preferences to copy and paste any selected group of texts to MS Word as a single block by removing the CRLF characters. That's great. Now, why not the Browse Window display? Why recently has this changed?

Gary

Default It must be a setting

It must be a setting, I have the latest version of BW9 and I still see a verse range as a single block.
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu

I'm not sure exactly how it's set up, but sometimes when I go to a new section, it will show up in the browse window in the original language text (even if I had been in an English text) in a continuous flow.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

I think it has to do with the foot print button on theBrowse window tool bar.
    Chas.

I'm trying to figure this out too. I don't like reading texts that are broken up by verses. Would rather see them as paragraphs.

robrecht, the desire to see texts in paragraphs is a long-standing one around here. I don't know if it will be available in BW 10 or not, nor is there any promise that BW 10 will appear soon. So our choices are continuous text (Single-Version Mode) and one-verse-at-a-time (Multiple-Version Mode). The little "footprints" icon in both the Browse window and the browse tab in the Analysis window switches between the two. I generally keep the Browse window set to Multiple-Version, to compare versions for the search result itself, and the Analysis window browse tab set to Single-Version, to see a larger context in my preferred version.

But back to philo's original (long-ago) question, I do see the entire passage in a continuous block when I input a passage on the Command Line (e.g., Luke 18:1-8), when I have Multiple-Version Mode set. Clicking the "footprints" (Toggle Browse Mode) switches to Single-Version, and then I see continuous text running beyond my passage. Clicking again reverts to Multiple-Version display of the first verse of my passage.

Something I've noticed, and I think mentioned long ago, is that at some point in the last year or so the browse tab in the Analysis window started defaulting to Multiple-Version Mode, forcing me to click the "footprints" to get Single-Version. Generally this will happen when I first start BW, for instance, or sometimes when loading a set of tabs from disk. It's unpredictable, but it always forces me to do what seems to me to be an unnecessary click.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    forcing me to click the "footprints" to get Single-Version. Generally this will happen when I first start BW, for instance, or sometimes when loading a set of tabs from disk. It's unpredictable, but it always forces me to do what seems to me to be an unnecessary click.
    If you've activated the Browse Window (i.e. have clicked on it last) just type the letter "b" to toggle back and forth from single to multi version. It's usually quicker than finding the footprints and clicking that.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Hello all,

If I recall correctly, this question came up a few months ago... I seem to remember that there was something in the option flags that allowed one to keep blocked text as such (i.e., 2 Co 3.1-15) even when changing panes. I know that to be the case because that's the way I have BW set up now!

however, I can't for the life of me find where that setting is! Perhaps someone with more time and patience than I have might look at some of the older topics on this forum and try to find it.

As has been said, a paragraph browse mode remains a major desideratum for the next version...

Cheers,

Don Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    If you've activated the Browse Window (i.e. have clicked on it last) just type the letter "b" to toggle back and forth from single to multi version. It's usually quicker than finding the footprints and clicking that.
    Good point. But it seems to me that one used to be able to rely on the Browse window, or the browse tab in the Analysis window, to come up every time in Multiple-Version Mode or Single-Version Mode, either through an options setting (I just looked, and there isn't one now) or simply by the program picking up whatever your last usage was. Now it seems to prefer Multiple-Version Mode, at least in some circumstances, and then whether by clicking or by typing "b" one needs to force it to Single-Version. Not a bit point, but I'm just sure it used to work differently.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default And the answer is ...

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Cobb View Post
    Hello all,

If I recall correctly, this question came up a few months ago... I seem to remember that there was something in the option flags that allowed one to keep blocked text as such (i.e., 2 Co 3.1-15) even when changing panes. I know that to be the case because that's the way I have BW set up now!

however, I can't for the life of me find where that setting is! Perhaps someone with more time and patience than I have might look at some of the older topics on this forum and try to find it.

As has been said, a paragraph browse mode remains a major desideratum for the next version...

Cheers,

Don Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France
    Tools / Options / Command Line Search Options / Remember command line ranges