Thread: New Version Timetable

Hybrid View

Default New Version Timetable

I set aside some professional expenses to purchase a new version of BW this year.
    Do new releases run on a scheduled timetable or are the releases more organic? If BW 10 is slated for this year I think Iíll wait. Otherwise Iíll go ahead with the purchase.
    Thanks for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by bolivar View Post
    I set aside some professional expenses to purchase a new version of BW this year.
    Do new releases run on a scheduled timetable or are the releases more organic? If BW 10 is slated for this year I think I’ll wait. Otherwise I’ll go ahead with the purchase.
    Thanks for any input.
    A good rule of thumb is that the more you hear about BW10, the farther away from actual release it is. When BW10 is almost ready to release, they won't talk much about it because they don't want to completely dry up sales for the old version. E.g. if they said BW10 was coming out in the Fall, no one would have a strong incentive to buy BW9 now, so their summer income would be way down.

My guess, which is purely just that, is that I would be surprised if BW10 came out anytime before next winter (as in 2014). Although it doesn't always happen this way, the Society of Biblical Literature has its big convention around Thanksgiving time and that's as good a time as any for Bible companies to announce new, big things. Perhaps at one time BW10 was on a shorter schedule than that, but from my understanding the project to make BibleWorks available on Macs as well as tweaks for running on Windows 8 have taken away programming time.

The other thing is that BW doesn't follow a hard release schedule. They release when they have enough new stuff ready that they think is worthy of a new version. So sometimes that too can shift release dates.

For your knowledge, here's how long the interval was between other releases:

BW4: 1999-1Q (life: < 3 years)

BW5: 2001-08 (life: ~2 years)

BW6: 2003-10 (life: ~2 years)

BW7: 2006-01 (life: 3 years)

BW8: 2009-01 (life: 2.5 years)

BW9: 2011-07
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!