Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: non-Unicode Hebrew to Unicode & removing vowel points

  1. #1

    Default non-Unicode Hebrew to Unicode & removing vowel points

    I wonder is there any good way to convert non-Unicode Hebrew (Bwhebb) to Unicode (such as SBL Hebrew and Ezra SIL) font?
    I tried the macro I found in the help document, but it has problems.

    Take Gen 6:5 for example,
    Name:  Gen. 6.5.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  10.6 KB

    After the conversion (I choose Ezra SIL in this case):
    Name:  Gen. 6.5 Ezra.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  14.2 KB

    I don't know what is the problem.

    I use Microsoft Word 2010.

    The code is attached below.

    My second question is: How to remove all the vowels in this document? (I don't even care whether the vowels are correct or not. My purpose is to convert all the Hebrew words to Unicode and then remove all the vowels.)

    Thank you very much!


    Macro:

    Sub ConvertAllBwHeb2Unicode()
    ConvertBwHeb2Unicode "bwhebb", "Ezra SIL", True
    End Sub




    Sub ConvertBwHeb2Unicode(fromfont$, tofont$, doentirefile)


    Dim o As Object


    Dim ucstr As Variant


    ReDim ucstr(1024) As Long


    If (doentirefile = True) Then Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory


    Set o = CreateObject("bibleworks.automation")


    Application.ScreenUpdating = True


    icheck = 0


    While (icheck = 0)


    Selection.Find.ClearFormatting


    With Selection.Find


    .Font.Name = fromfont$


    .Text = ""


    .Replacement.Text = ""


    .Forward = True


    .Wrap = wdFindStop


    .Format = True


    .MatchCase = False


    .MatchWholeWord = False


    .MatchKashida = False


    .MatchDiacritics = False


    .MatchAlefHamza = False


    .MatchControl = False


    .MatchByte = False


    .CorrectHangulEndings = False


    .MatchAllWordForms = False


    .MatchSoundsLike = False


    .MatchWildcards = False


    .MatchFuzzy = False


    End With


    If (Selection.Find.Execute = False) Then


    icheck = 1


    Else


    istart = 1


    iend = Selection.Characters.Count


    ReDim ucstr(3 * iend + 2) As Long


    ucstr(1) = iend


    For i = istart To iend


    ucstr(i + 1) = Asc(Selection.Characters(i))


    Next i


    o.BwHebb2Unicode ucstr


    Rem Selection.Delete


    Application.Keyboard (1037)


    With Selection.Font


    .NameFarEast = "SimSun"


    .NameAscii = "Arial"


    .NameOther = "Arial"


    .Name = "Arial"


    .Size = 10


    .Bold = False


    .Italic = False


    .Underline = wdUnderlineNone


    .UnderlineColor = wdColorAutomatic


    .StrikeThrough = False


    .DoubleStrikeThrough = False


    .Outline = False


    .Emboss = False


    .Shadow = False


    .Hidden = False


    .SmallCaps = False


    .AllCaps = False


    .Color = wdColorAutomatic


    .Engrave = False


    .Superscript = False


    .Subscript = False


    .Spacing = 0


    .Scaling = 100


    .Position = 0


    .Kerning = 0


    .Animation = wdAnimationNone


    .DisableCharacterSpaceGrid = False


    .EmphasisMark = wdEmphasisMarkNone


    .SizeBi = 14


    .NameBi = tofont$


    .BoldBi = False


    .ItalicBi = False


    End With


    For i = 1 To ucstr(1)


    s$ = ChrW(ucstr(i + 1))


    Selection.TypeText Text:=s$


    Next i


    Application.Keyboard (1033)


    End If


    If (doentirefile = False) Then icheck = 1


    Wend


    Application.ScreenUpdating = True


    Set bwutil = Nothing


    End Sub

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martinzh View Post
    I wonder is there any good way to convert non-Unicode Hebrew (Bwhebb) to Unicode (such as SBL Hebrew and Ezra SIL) font?
    I tried the macro I found in the help document, but it has problems.
    What version of BibleWorks are you using? In most recent BibleWorks versions (I think from 7 on) you can copy the text from BibleWorks straight into Unicode without having to do any converting yourself. If you specifically want the text without any vowel points, load WTT in the browse window, click your mouse in the browse window and hit the letter "x" on your keyboard to toggle vowel points off and then copy your text.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    What version of BibleWorks are you using? In most recent BibleWorks versions (I think from 7 on) you can copy the text from BibleWorks straight into Unicode without having to do any converting yourself. If you specifically want the text without any vowel points, load WTT in the browse window, click your mouse in the browse window and hit the letter "x" on your keyboard to toggle vowel points off and then copy your text.
    Thank you, Michael.
    I'm using v. 9.0.
    I don't have any problem with this.
    I'm editing a document from my professor, who used Bwhebb font to write a book, with the vowels.
    Now the publisher requires to use Unicode fonts for Hebrew without vowel points.

    I don't want to do it manually, cause it takes too much time.
    Therefore I wonder if there is a good way to accomplish this purpose.

    Thank you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    527

    Default

    I suggest first using search & replace to remove all the vowel points. Once the vowel points are removed, then try the Word macro once again. That may accomplish what you want.

    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

    For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    I suggest first using search & replace to remove all the vowel points. Once the vowel points are removed, then try the Word macro once again. That may accomplish what you want.

    Glenn
    Hi Glenn,

    That sounds a good idea.
    I don't know how to remove all the vowel points with search&replace.
    Jim Darlack showed me to do it by removing one vowel or accent at a time. Is there any efficient way of doing this?
    I'm not familiar with the codes. It is very easy to make mistakes.

    Thanks a lot!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Hi Martinzh,

    Without going into writing macro code to replace character numbers, the best way to do it is to search and replace each vowel point individually. It will be tedious, but other than replacing the text manually, this will be the best way to do it.

    I hope that your professor will be paying you to do this work. This is not the type of work to be doing gratis, especially for an entire book.

    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

    For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    206

    Default Wouldn't it be easier to replace the passages?

    Depending on how many passages involved, it might be easier to set the export font to Ezra SIL turn off vowels in the browse window, then highlight and copy or use popup copy window to place a new version of the text in the manuscript and then delete the pointed text.
    SkipB

    "Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

    http://www.reseminary.edu



  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    Hi Martinzh,

    Without going into writing macro code to replace character numbers, the best way to do it is to search and replace each vowel point individually. It will be tedious, but other than replacing the text manually, this will be the best way to do it.

    I hope that your professor will be paying you to do this work. This is not the type of work to be doing gratis, especially for an entire book.

    Glenn
    Thanks, Glenn.
    Yes.
    I got stipend from my school. So it is no much difference with me. But I want to do it more efficiently if I could.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkipB View Post
    Depending on how many passages involved, it might be easier to set the export font to Ezra SIL turn off vowels in the browse window, then highlight and copy or use popup copy window to place a new version of the text in the manuscript and then delete the pointed text.
    Hi, thank you for your suggestion.
    Can you explain more about how to do it?
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with this area at all.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    206

    Default 2 steps

    First in BW works place the cursor in the browse window and press<x> (just the letter, not brackets).
    In your document, at the position you want to copy to, press <control><shift><b>. This will open your pop up copy window.
    You will need to configure your format the first time so when the window opens left click Favorites. Select "configure copy popup favorites" from the bottom of the drop down menu.
    This will open the "BW Options Window" with verse list or range selected.
    Make sure that Export Unicode Hebrew is checked. Select Where to copy the verse list with the radio buttons.
    Next in the list at the left select Fonts under the general heading, now select the appropriate Unicode Hebrew font and size. Click OK and it will take you back to the popup. Enter the verse range you want to copy and it will insert it in you document.
    Check you have a copy of the original in your document except no accents or vowels then delete pointed text.

    I hope that is clear enough.
    SkipB

    "Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

    http://www.reseminary.edu



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •