Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BibleWorks and Tablets

Default BibleWorks and Tablets

I would love to get a tablet. As the ability to run BibleWorks is one of my more significant considerations, I guess I'm locked into a Windows 8 (full version and not RT) tablet. But at a whopping price tag of $899 (for 64 GB) or $999 (for 128 GB), it is a very expensive proposition right now. I'm kind of hoping they will go down in price over the next few months. I realize there are no guarantees of that. I'm also hearing that the demand for Windows Tablets is not running very high right now. In fact, I heard that one computer maker that was going to make their own version of a Windows 8 tablet has now scrapped those plans. (By the way, I should say that I have seen BibleWorks in action on a Microsoft Surface Tablet and it was very impressive.) But I am concerned about the current pricing of Windows 8 tablets and their long-term viability. So, in no specific order, I had a few questions:

1. As of right now, I am aware that only Samsung and Microsoft are making Windows 8 tablets. Anyone have a good feel about which of these two presents the better option?

2. Are there any plans afoot to eventually create a version of BibleWorks for Android tablets (or the iPad for that matter)?

Grateful for any additional insights.

Irving

Irving,

Iíve been exploring this issue for about three months, and I still donít have any answers. Iíve been scouring all the news from PC World and others, so hereís what Iíve been able to garnerÖ

The best way to go in my mind Ė at least at this point Ė seems to be a convertible tablet. Now that Win 8.1 is out, the reviewers seem to be slightly more positive about it, but also say thereís still a good deal of work to be done overall. But at least they seem to all agree that Win 8.1 is workable.

Hereís an example of a convertible tablet from HP:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...cpc&origin=pla

So from everything I can see so far, this is going to be the best way to go.

However, I donít believe the time to buy is now. I think things are going to have to settle out quite a bit before we will see the competition bring the prices down, and for the quality and performance of the convertible tablets to improve.

At this stage, I donít think the current convertible tablets have quite enough power for my liking.

So even if you had a billion dollars burning a hole in your pocket, I think it would be a waste of money to buy anything right now unless it was exclusively for short-term use.

I hope others can provide more knowledgeable answers, especially those who are really staying on top it and may possibly know whatís going on.

Thanks for the good info, Scott. I'm going to see if I can get more info on that convertible tablet at HP's website.

Hey Scott, here is an excellent video review of the convertible tablet you referred to from zdnet: http://www.zdnet.com/hp-envy-x2-revi...in-7000014736/

Yeah, the video gives a nice overview. I like the convertible paradigm. I'd like to see them improve the RAM and port capabilities a little more, and of course, always hope for more battery life. Be nice if they put a little crank on the side so you could crank up your own electricity with a tiny generator inside, or something.

Default Lenovo Yoga 13

My daughter has been using a Lenovo Yoga 13" convertible since the end of January. She works as an SEO exec. for a local e-marketing company. She loves the machine. It only has about 8 hours of battery life. Which seems short to me. When she is working from home she never sits still. One minute she is sitting at the table typing away furiously the next she has it folded so it balances on the arm of her sofa and she is using the touch screen to read. It is pretty light, so even though the format is large she carries it around and uses it like a tablet with out it being awkward.
    With 8.1 coming soon to products, and the Haswell chip-set just appearing, I think there are going to be some very interesting debuts this fall. There is a new 11" version of the Yoga, but they can't build them fast enough. They have a 4 week shipping date on them.
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu

Unless I am missing something, Dell has Win 8 64 gig tablesfor about $600. I am using their Latitude 10 essentials. I would advisegetting the regular Latitude, they have more port options. My 10eruns BW9 fine. The regular latitude tablets start at about $650.
    Charlie

Thanks for the helpful heads up, Charlie. I was actually looking at those Dell Latitude Tablets at their website yesterday. I also saw an ad for a really nice HP Conversion Tablet today. It's a laptop that converts into a tablet. It seems that the options for Windows 8 Tablets have been growing of late (even since the time this thread was started). That's good news. At this point, I'd like to go to a Best Buy type store and compare the different options side by side. (Assuming, of course, that they have a good selection of them there.)

By the way, how did you install BW on your tablet? I assume you hooked up an external optical drive?

I used an external hard drive. I copied the DVDs to a new empty folder and installed it from there.