Thread: can't find 1 timothy

Default can't find 1 timothy

I love the idea of BW9, but of the four bible research programs I've had its by far the least intuitive to use. I followed the instructions in the help file and tried to find 1 timothy by typing 1Ti in the search bar, but I get an error stating

"Could not find the verse reference "1Ti" in the current search version. If you are trying to search for a specific word in the Bible text, precede the word with a period ('.'), like this: .Ti

Would you like to see some examples?"

If anyone has any ideas on what I can do to fix this or if anyone knows of an aftermarket book on bw9, please let me know. I am having a hard time figuringg out how to navigate this program.

Quote Originally Posted by iceagecolumbus View Post
    I love the idea of BW9, but of the four bible research programs I've had its by far the least intuitive to use. I followed the instructions in the help file and tried to find 1 timothy by typing 1Ti in the search bar, but I get an error stating

"Could not find the verse reference "1Ti" in the current search version. If you are trying to search for a specific word in the Bible text, precede the word with a period ('.'), like this: .Ti

Would you like to see some examples?"

If anyone has any ideas on what I can do to fix this or if anyone knows of an aftermarket book on bw9, please let me know. I am having a hard time figuringg out how to navigate this program.
    I would highly recommend reading through some of the help files or at the very least watching some of the getting started videos provided in the program to learn how to do some of the basic functions. In this case, you will want to add at the very least a chapter reference as well. So type in "1ti 1" as opposed to just "1ti"
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

If you type just "1ti 1" you will get the entire first chapter of 1 Timothy in your browse window in all the versions you choose as your display versions. You probably do not want to do that. So I strongly suggest always typing in a verse number as well as a chapter number. BibleWorks accepts many formats to do this. E.g. 1Ti 1:1 or 1Ti 1,1 or 1Ti 1 1. You can even do it without capitalizing: 1ti 1 1. That takes the fewest keystrokes. If BibleWorks does not see any verse numbers, it assumes that you were trying to search on a word but failed to type in the beginning of such a search. The most common are : . (a period) to search for a specific word, ' (apostrophe) to search for a string of words, / to search for one or the other of multiple words which you type on the command line. Many more complicated searches are available. It might help you to look under the command line and click on "Tools" and choose "Command Line Examples." That should give you all kinds of ideas. It does take a long time to learn all the different sorts of searches which BW can do. But that is one reason we use BW, because it can do so many different kinds of searches. Mark Eddy