Thread: Isolating Verbs in a Passage Using KWIC

Hybrid View

Default Isolating Verbs in a Passage Using KWIC

I am trying to make a verb list for a passage (specifically Joshua 1-6) using the KWIC tool. I am using the instructions at http://www.bibleworks.com/classroom/3_01/index.html, and they seem fairly straightforward. However, there seems to be a problem with entering "*@v*", as I keep getting a popup box saying "No Matches Found." I can change the range to another passage (such as the "rut 1" used in the example, and I can change the "Left," "Right," and "Codes" to something other than zero, but I keep getting the same result--no result. What am I doing wrong?
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Try this: *?@v*

Without the ? I also got no hits, with it I got a whole bunch in Joshua 1-6.

I think at one time BW didn't allow just * searches; either computers were too slow, or it was assumed to be an error, so the user had to trick BW into thinking it was looking for at least one character. The * search now works on the command line, but they mustn't have gone back and enabled it in KWIC.

--Jim

Default That does the trick! But . . .

Thanks for the tip--I never would have thought of that. Allowing regular wild card searches might be something to improve for BW10, if not sooner.

But after getting the list to come up in the KWIC, for which I am grateful. . . . BW shuts down every time I try to copy the KWIC list.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

I gave up. . . . It kept crashing, regardless of computer. But it's only a problem when "Display Brother Text" is selected.