Thread: Is it possible to export a list of words found in a search?

Hybrid View

Default Is it possible to export a list of words found in a search?

Hi all,
    Is it possible to export a list with the words found in a search result - and only the highlighted words, not the entire verses?
    My case: I want to produce a list with all the imperatives in Mark and have that exported as a regular list for a word-document.
    Thanks,
    Morten

Default I can answer this one!

You probably already have the first part:
    • Switch to BGM (or other morphological database)
    • Limit to Mark (l mark)
    • Search for the imperatives: *@vd*

Now to get all those words into a list
    • Open the Word List manager (either w/ icon or Tools > Analyzing the Text > Word List Manager)
    • After the window opens, click on "Load or Generate Word List" at bottom
    • For version, choose BGT (or comparable text [not morphological] database)
    • Click on "Load highlighted words from last query"
    • Click on "Create list" at bottom
    • There's your list! Now click on "File" and choose how you want to save it.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Mark: Thanks!

Now, the reason I had to do this was in order to check, why Accordance produces 148 imperatives in Mark and BW 149. I am in the process of grading papers from my Mark class, and some questions concerned Bible-searches - and so it turned out that I got different answers depending on which program, my student uses.

The lists revealed that the point of difference is found in 15,4, where BW analyses "ide" as an imperative of "horao" - which is also is, technically at least. The funny thing is, however, that BW in all other instances in Mark (2,24; 3,34; 11,21; 13,1.21; 15,35; 16,6) analyses it as an interjection, as does Accordance.

I cannot see any reason as to why "ide" should not also be deemed and doomed as an interjection in 15,4.

Oh well, no big deal, but a reminder about the fact that Bible-programs in the end also are human - or at least dependent on human judgements

Morten

Also remember that you may well get different responses depending on the Greek text you use (e.g., BYZ or SCR will have numerous differences from BGM).
    Further, even w/ the same Greek base text, due to how things are analyzed, you will get different data whether using BGM/T or GNM/T. (E.g., note that w/ the GNM, there is a separate definition for participles with imperative sense.)
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools