Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: convert bwhebb.ttf to unicode

Hybrid View

Default convert bwhebb.ttf to unicode

Does anyone know of a macro for use in word that will convert Bible Works Hebrew font to Unicode?

Default New program by Galaxie Software

Hi, Andrew,

Galaxie Software (Hampton Keathley) was debuting at ETS a program that does this very thing.

You can find it at http://www.galaxie.com/store/product.asp?ProductID=27

Default Galaxie unicode fonts

I wish there were more information on the product at the website. It does not say anything about BibleWorks fonts or any fonts other than Galaxie fonts as far as I can tell. If it allows for the conversion of other fonts it would be nice to include that in the product description.

------------------------------------------
    Roy E. Ciampa, Ph.D.
    Associate Professor of New Testament
    Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    130 Essex Street
    South Hamilton, MA 01982

Default Limited...

I spoke with Hampton @ ETS and got the impression that it was limited to just the conversion of Galaxie fonts.

That could be a wrong impression, but I would think that if could do "any" font that would be a powerful tool and they would advertise it as such.
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Post Is it that easy?

I'm not a font expert by any means, but to get a macro to convert the BibleWorks font to Unicode or vice versa wouldn't it be as "easy" as it is with the Greek-Unicode macro that others have done? In other words, isn't all that is needed just for someone to make the approriate character map so they know what swaps for what and that's your macro?

The other thought i guess is that the new BibleWorks editor should be able to do this automatically from what I've gathered of the descriptions given.

Mike
    MDiv Student Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Student Washington University

Default New Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel
    I'm not a font expert by any means, but to get a macro to convert the BibleWorks font to Unicode or vice versa wouldn't it be as "easy" as it is with the Greek-Unicode macro that others have done? In other words, isn't all that is needed just for someone to make the approriate character map so they know what swaps for what and that's your macro?

The other thought i guess is that the new BibleWorks editor should be able to do this automatically from what I've gathered of the descriptions given.

Mike
    MDiv Student Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Student Washington University
    Your first statement is correct, it is not "rocket science," just takes time.

However, you are correct too, that the new editor has been advertised to take away these issues.
    Joe Fleener

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Ciampa
    I wish there were more information on the product at the website. It does not say anything about BibleWorks fonts or any fonts other than Galaxie fonts as far as I can tell. If it allows for the conversion of other fonts it would be nice to include that in the product description.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fleener
    I spoke with Hampton @ ETS and got the impression that it was limited to just the conversion of Galaxie fonts.
    I figured I'd point this out:
    Also included in this package are font conversion macros for Microsoft Word 2000 or later which allow you to convert many other manufacturers old-fashioned Greek and Hebrew fonts to the Galaxie old-fashioned Greek and Hebrew fonts. And you can then convert Galaxie Greek and Hebrew to Unicode. (Quoted from the Galaxie Software Site on 12.1.04)
    So it looks like it will convert BWgrkl/hebb into non-Unicode Galaxie fonts and then convert the non-Unicode Galaxie fonts into Unicode.
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Jim,

Thanks for the clarification.
    Joe Fleener

Lightbulb I asked Hampton Keathley

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Ciampa
    ... and here's what he said:

the program handles graeca, graecaII, bwgreek, sgreek, supergreek and the corresponding hebrew versions of each
    I also do mounce's fonts.

I thow away hebrew cantillations in the process of converting other fonts to galaxie fonts

I've had a couple customers that extensively tested the graeca/hebraica stuff and it works great. I won't swear that the bwgreek/bwhebrew is perfect, but it should be close - and we're quick to fix problems if customers send us the offending document

The conversion process is - click the "bwgreek" button to get from bwgreek to galaixe greek then click the "Galaxie Greek to Unicode" button to go to Unicode Greek
    same 2 step process for hebrew

Hope that's helpful

Default Great clarification

I guess I missed the info Jim Darlack has now pointed out to me (assuming it was there when I first checked). That and the other clarifications help a great deal.

Thanks!

------------------------------------------
    Roy E. Ciampa, Ph.D.
    Associate Professor of New Testament
    Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    130 Essex Street
    South Hamilton, MA 01982