Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are red letters in Text Of The Earliest New Testament Greek Manuscripts (CTENTM)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    And the CNTTS apparatus is yet a third resource, appearing in the Verse tab. Wow. Talk about an embarrassment of riches!
    Yeah it totally escaped my notice until after I had posted my second reply to you that Mark referred you to the CNTTS, which only confused matters more. [It's okay Mark, it's a busy week ] But yeah I normally refer to this module as Comfort and Barrett, not CTENTM, but together with CNTTS, it is a confusing mix of acronyms, but as you say a great source of textual help!
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    My guess is that there was some reticence by the transcriber of this text to have questionable readings. I think you could probably make a case that the end of the word κρεμαμενον should have an underdot, but it's also possible that the transcriber had access to a better image of Sinaiticus here and made the judgment call that it was really not disputable. The other interesting thing to note is that if you have this verse open in the MSS tab, you will see that the transcriber did leave a note about this reading in the Transcription Notes section (below the image if you have Sinaiticus active in the MSS tab):
    Thanks for this too. That's what I was seeing, and now that I understand where the transcriber is located in the text-critical cosmos, so to speak, I understand better what's going on here. I love doing text criticism, but as I say I'm only just beginning to explore the tools BW offers for it. Dang, I wish I was going to live to be 120.

So here's a semi-theological speculation: Do you suppose that in the next world, where all secrets are revealed, God will let some of us continue to puzzle over text critical issues just because we love to do it -- and then let us take our proposed solutions to the biblical authors to check them? That would be heaven!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Yeah it totally escaped my notice until after I had posted my second reply to you that Mark referred you to the CNTTS, which only confused matters more. [It's okay Mark, it's a busy week ] But yeah I normally refer to this module as Comfort and Barrett, not CTENTM, but together with CNTTS, it is a confusing mix of acronyms, but as you say a great source of textual help!
    Yes, well, and it escaped my notice that it was Mark and not you who made that reference! Hey, your names both start with an M, what am I supposed to do, pay attention?
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

and blushing...
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools