Thread: What are red letters in Text Of The Earliest New Testament Greek Manuscripts (CTENTM)

Hybrid View

Default What are red letters in Text Of The Earliest New Testament Greek Manuscripts (CTENTM)

What do the red letters mean in the Text Of The Earliest New Testament Greek Manuscripts (CTENTM). I see grey text which apparently means it was reconstructed text that was completely missing (or not clear? which is it? both?) in the MSS. But what do the red letters mean? And the dots underneath the red letters - what does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by David EppS View Post
    What do the red letters mean in the Text Of The Earliest New Testament Greek Manuscripts (CTENTM). I see grey text which apparently means it was reconstructed text that was completely missing (or not clear? which is it? both?) in the MSS. But what do the red letters mean? And the dots underneath the red letters - what does that mean?
    Red texts with the underdot mean that the letter is present, but not entirely legible, so the letter represented in red with the underdot is what the editor thinks the letter is. Letters in gray are probable reconstruction based on how many letters fit per row of the papyrus, but they are places where the papyrus is missing, so they are complete reconstructions of the text rather than a transcription of what is seen.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Red texts with the underdot mean that the letter is present, but not entirely legible, so the letter represented in red with the underdot is what the editor thinks the letter is. Letters in gray are probable reconstruction based on how many letters fit per row of the papyrus, but they are places where the papyrus is missing, so they are complete reconstructions of the text rather than a transcription of what is seen.
    Thank You Michael!!

And what about the --- bars over certain words?

Quote Originally Posted by David EppS View Post
    Thank You Michael!!

And what about the --- bars over certain words?
    They are reproductions of what is written in the papyri. They usually happen in cases of nomina sacra or final nus (the Greek letter) that are not written but instead just that line over the letter is written.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Pardon my ignorance, but how is this resource accessed in BW 9? I can't seem to locate it. I haven't used BW much for text criticism, and have just played around with the MSS tab in the Analysis Window a bit (but I don't find CTENTM there either).

A blessed Easter weekend to all!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but how is this resource accessed in BW 9? I can't seem to locate it. I haven't used BW much for text criticism, and have just played around with the MSS tab in the Analysis Window a bit (but I don't find CTENTM there either).

A blessed Easter weekend to all!
    Two ways to find it:
    1) Click on Verse tab in Analysis pane and choose CNTTS Apparatus
    2) From menu: Resources > Text Criticism > CNTTS
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools