Thread: Strong's Question

Default Strong's Question

Does anyone know if it is possible to search for a Strong's Number and have the results window display the search results without the Strong's Numbers being displayed and the word that it is tagged with that Strong's Number being highlighted?

Like this...
    Name:  Graphic1.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  16.8 KB

Not this...

Name:  Graphic2.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  46.9 KB
    Last edited by ugotdave; 03-16-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Yes, you can do that, if you know the Strong's numbers by heart (or have them in a book outside of BibleWorks). Make sure that your search version has Strong's numbers attached (e.g. KJV, NAU). Turn off the Strong's numbers in your browse window. On the command line type a period, followed by the Strong's number you wish to search. (In your example: .02451) And you'll have the list of verses under the command line, and the alleged corresponding English word highlighted in the browse window. (I say "alleged" because the first verse in the list using NAU highlights the word "he" in Exo 28:3, which is obviously not correct.) I seem to remember that there are a couple different ways to highlight the Strong's numbers, but I forget how to change them.
    Mark Eddy

Well, try this and see if this is what want. After setting a version with Strong’s number, say NAU, as the search version, enter “.*@02451” on CL, for instance, and see what you get. To highlight only “wisdom” of “of wisdom” in Exo 28:3, go through Tools, Options, Command Line Search Options, and uncheck “Extend Strong’s Tag to all words.” And you can toggle Strong’s number on or off by double clicking “Strong’s” at the bottom of the display window, or by clicking a small square with a check mark on it on the top of the Display Window and by checking or un-checking “Toggle Strong’s Numbers.”

By consulting Strong’s Concordance, you can look for the Strong’s number that you want.

A word of warning is in order, however, in the use of Strong’s number with KJV. For instance, try ".*@02895", and “<02895>” of Jer 32:41 ill give you a wrong Hebrew word.

With regards.
    Last edited by Yaku Lee; 03-16-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Removed uncessary space in "* @."

Yaku Lee,

This is exactly what I wanted to do and what I was looking for!
    A bit confusing though... I would think that if I would uncheck “Extend Strong’s Tag to all words” that it would Not incorporate the Strong's Number with the English Word. But I guess that's why I am not a software programer. I understand that this is a toggle between either the Strong's Number or the English Word that the Number is tagged with. I guess there is no option to highlight both, not that I would ever use that feature.

And Kudos to the Bibleworks Team for meeting our biblical search needs!

Thank you all for taking the time to read, post and help me.

Quote Originally Posted by ugotdave View Post
    Yaku Lee,

This is exactly what I wanted to do and what I was looking for!
    A bit confusing though... I would think that if I would uncheck “Extend Strong’s Tag to all words” that it would Not incorporate the Strong's Number with the English Word. But I guess that's why I am not a software programer. I understand that this is a toggle between either the Strong's Number or the English Word that the Number is tagged with. I guess there is no option to highlight both, not that I would ever use that feature.

And Kudos to the Bibleworks Team for meeting our biblical search needs!

Thank you all for taking the time to read, post and help me.
    I will try to clarify two settings that affect use of Strong's numbers.
    1. Toggling Strong's numbers on and off determines how verses are displayed in the browse window -- with or without Strong's numbers (for versions that are tagged with Strong's numbers).
    2. Not all words in KJV, NAU, etc., have Strong's numbers, because frequently more than one English word will be used to translate one Hebrew word. The Extend Strong's Tags to all words configuration flag determines what words will be associated with one Strong's number. If the flag is not set, the number is associated with just the word immediately before it; if the flag is set, the number is associated with all the words between the found number, and the number immediately before it. In your example above, Strong's number <03547> is associated with the five words "him, that he may minister" if the flag is set, and all five words will be highlighted in a search; if the flag is not set it is associated only with "minister".

BibleWorks allows you to do some powerful things with Strong's numbers, if your inclination runs that way.
    See, in BW help, The Command Line - Introduction (Section 34 for BW9), sub-section Looking Up Strong's Numbers Codes (near the bottom of the section).
    Also, if you are using a tagged version that includes TVM (tense, voice, mood) codes (KJV does, NAU, NAS don't), you might be interested in this thread: http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sho...am-s-TVM-codes

--Jim

Ohhh... wow did I ever misunderstand the “Extend Strong’s Tag to all words” feature.
    So this search ".*@02451" will find all the different English words used to translate חָכְמָה. (skill, wisdom, wisely, wilt, etc...)

Is that correct Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by ugotdave View Post
    So this search ".*@02451" will find all the different English words used to translate חָכְמָה. (skill, wisdom, wisely, wilt, etc...)
    Is that correct Jim?
    I rarely use Strong's numbers, except when I notice threads like this one, and get the itch to investigate this part of BibleWorks, so I cannot speak to the accuracy or usefulness of these numbers.

The search ".*@02451" will find all verses that are tagged with that number. If you have the "Extend" flag off, it will highlight the word immediately before that number in each found verse. If you then open the Word List Manager (F8 key, or various other ways), and then "Load or Generate Word List" (button), and "Load highlighted words from last query", you will get something like this:

Name:  WLM.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  53.2 KB

--Jim