Thread: WordSearch-Modules and BW-integration

Default WordSearch-Modules and BW-integration

Hi all,

How many of you have some Wordsearch-modules? I understand from Michael's fine review of two IVP-dicts (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=732) that they show up in the Resource-tab. That is really nice.

Is that the case with any of the modules, they offer - also the commentaries? https://www.wordsearchbible.com/bible_works

Also: It would be nice, if the commentaries would also be available under the Verse-tab, so that you could have a running view of the content as you browse through verses in the Browser-window.

Does anyone know, how they work precisely?

Thanks,
    Morten

I don't know what much else to add to your comments. The "Resources" tab shows what commentaries address the passage in the Browse window. Also, you can bring up a commentary just like you would one of the grammars and read through it.

Is that what you're asking, or are you asking for technical information about "how they work"?
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

I recently purchased 5 of the 6 modules mentioned in Michael's review (all but the commentary), privately from another BW user. The review gives a good overview of how the modules install and work within BW, and my experience is in accord with it. I can't say anything about how the other modules work, though.

I do find one inconsistency among the modules I have. In the Dictionaries of NT Background and of Biblical Imagery, terms are often highlighted as hyperlinks to other articles within the dictionary, and function as such. For example, in the DBI article "Cosmology," words such as creation, chaos, order, and evil are underlined and in blue, and clicking on them jumps to the respective articles. In the other 3 dictionaries, however, there are such links only in explicit cross references ("see ..."); other terms may have asterisks after them but are not links. For instance, in the Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels article "Eschatology" section 1.1, the 3rd paragraph has the terms Son of Man, Son of David, disciples, and Israel asterisked but not linked to the respective articles, whereas just before this section the cross reference "(see Kingdom of God)" is a link. I presume this is an inconsistency in the WordSearch processing of the files. The asterisks do at least draw attention to the existence of articles to be checked; and even in the 3 dictionaries without all the hyperlinks, biblical texts are tagged so that hovering the mouse over them brings up the text, and you can click on them to load them into the BW Browse Window, as Michael describes.

Here's a screenshot showing the difference. In the DJG, note the asterisked term "sinners"* (I've put a red box around it), in contrast to the explicit cross reference "see People, Crowd" in the preceding line. In the DBI, by contrast, the terms soft, face, bronze, and iron are all hyperlinks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I just tried to go to the Wordsearch website to look for their BibleWorks modules. I can't find anything there any more. Does anyone have a link? Thanks.

Irving

Never mind, just found it.

Great, thanks to all of you.

What would be nice, in addition to what is already working really well, it seems, would be to have the commentaries available in the 4th pane - like NET-notes. That is not needed for the IVP-modules, though.

Morten

For any and all that have some of the Wordsearch modules for BibleWorks, do the resources show up in either (a) the Verse Tab, or (b) the Analysis Tab in the Analysis Window? I happen to like the Holman Christian Standard Bible Study Notes as well as a lot of the NICOT - NICNT volumes, and would consider purchasing them, but I would like to know how they can be accessed in BibleWorks. I am assuming that they will at least show up on the Resources Summary Tab, in which clicking on the links will bring up the books in their own window. But I would much prefer it if the resources could be accessed on the Analysis Tab or on the Verse Tab. Grateful if any module owners could give me this information.

Also, on the Wordsearch website, where they list the available modules for BibleWorks, they say that some of the books will require their Wordsearch fonts, in which case, they say that one should download their Wordsearch fonts installer. How does one know which books require the Wordsearch fonts? And has anyone had any problems either by downloading the fonts installer or by failure to do so? Grateful for any feedback.

As shown in the screenshot in my earlier post, the WordSearch modules show up in the Resources tab in the Analysis Window; they don't appear in the Analysis or Verse tabs. For me, at any rate; I don't know if they could be made to do so. I find them pretty easily accessible from the Resources tab, though.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Thanks, David. For a resource like the Holman Christian Standard Study Bible Notes, though, I think Verse Tab accessibility would be much more preferable.