Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto-update in Parallels and Synoptic Windows

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Here's a screenshot to show what I mean. It depends, of course, on what section of the synopsis one has open. I'm using just the Aland NRS synopsis here, for simplicity's sake. As you can see, since in the Transfiguration passage the synopsis also includes material from the baptism narrative for each of the synoptic gospels, there are multiple passages in each column, and for some reason the "title" (as I'm calling it) for each column references the last passage, not the first one.
    That is because you are looking at the transfiguration synopsis. The readings about the the baptism of our Lord in this case are secondary. So BW is showing you the transfiguration references. If you want to see the baptism references as headings, you have to go to the baptism synopsis, and the readings will be more extensive. There is method to their madness.
    Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    That is because you are looking at the transfiguration synopsis. The readings about the the baptism of our Lord in this case are secondary. So BW is showing you the transfiguration references. If you want to see the baptism references as headings, you have to go to the baptism synopsis, and the readings will be more extensive. There is method to their madness.
    We may be talking past each other here. My point is precisely that the "title" (as I'm calling it) above the Matthew column is the secondary "Mat 3:17," whereas the passage that is the primary focus here is Matthew 17:1-9. Likewise for "Mar 1:11" above Mark 9:2-10 and "Luke 3:22" above Luke 9:28-36 (+Luke 9:37). In the John column, since there is no secondary passage, the title is correctly John 12:28, the first verse of the primary passage in that column. I just think these "titles" should consistently have the first verse in the primary, not secondary, passage.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

As I was looking at your screen shot again, my wife walked by and said, "Why is that so small?" I guess I was looking so hard to read the synopsis list on the top of the window (and comparing that with the verses in the window) that I missed the "heading" of the columns altogether. So, again, forgive my inappropriate answer. I closed down the synopsis window and re-opened it and watched what happened. As each column displayed, the heading began with the main verse then quickly switched to the "secondary" verse. I clicked on the synopsis just above the one we're looking at, and watched each column change. The "heading" briefly displays each reference in each column, ending up with the last reference. It does this consistently.
    I looked in Help, and there is no explanation of the "headings." My guess is that there is some sort of bug in the program. Either that or the programmers thought it would be good to notify us users if there is indeed a "secondary" verse in a column. But we can see that fact by looking at the synopsis list in the top window. I'll notify the programmers to look into this, if they have not already viewed this thread.
    Mark Eddy

Thanks, Mark! The columns appear too quickly on my machine to be able to see the process you describe (not that I'm braggin' or anything ), but I'll take your word for it.

I imagine the purpose might indeed be to alert the user to secondary texts; but since it only alerts us to one when there are sometimes several, and since that, as you say, only duplicates the information available in the synopsis list at the top, it seems more confusing than useful.

While you're alerting the programmers.... It would be great if the Synopsis window would remember the depth (number of lines displayed) in that top list of synopsis passages from one time to another. It always seems to default to 2, which is not very helpful. I inevitably have to drag the dividing line down to show a larger number of lines, and it gets tiresome to do that with every new Synopsis window.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

I've long noticed a related problem. If I do a search, go to one of the results in the results column underneath the command line, open the syonpis tool, great. But if I then highlight the next search result in results column, I would like to see all the parallels of that result also, but, as others have said, I merely get four columns of the same verse. So I have to close the synoptic tool, highlight the next search result, and then reopen the synopsis tool.

Alternatively, I can highlight the next result, click on the synopsis tool and open another synopsis window of that result and its parallels, but soon I have a whole lot of synopsis windows open.

I would hope this could be a relatively easy fix.

Yes, fixing this behavior would be a real benefit. It seems like we're all asking for the same thing here. But how easy it is or not may be another question.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Yes, fixing this behavior would be a real benefit. It seems like we're all asking for the same thing here. But how easy it is or not may be another question.
    Good point. Here's what I heard back:

"I've passed it on to our development team as a suggestion. Due to the nature of the Search version/Secondary Browse window connection, the cost of implementation of the suggestion appears substantial ... "