Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see in BibleWorks 10?

Exclamation

I completely agree with this suggestion, which was already made in the 7th post in this thread.

This brings me to wonder whether this thread, which has been going on for almost a month, has perhaps now completely served its purpose and should be closed. The two most recent suggestions have both been about items that were already requested earlier in the thread, which is getting to be too long to wade through.

Long as it is, let me humbly request that, at a minimum, those who wish to add items to this list of suggestions first go through the thread and see whether their suggestion has already been made.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I completely agree with this suggestion, which was already made in the 7th post in this thread.

This brings me to wonder whether this thread, which has been going on for almost a month, has perhaps now completely served its purpose and should be closed. The two most recent suggestions have both been about items that were already requested earlier in the thread, which is getting to be too long to wade through.

Long as it is, let me humbly request that, at a minimum, those who wish to add items to this list of suggestions first go through the thread and see whether their suggestion has already been made.
    I don't know . . . I think some people are posting to "second" and "third" requests that have already been made. I would imagine that the more people are interested in an addition, the more likely that BW would add it.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Lightbulb Lexicons, Indexes, Intertextuality and "Hacking" BibleWorks

Muraoka's Greek English Lexicon to the Septuagint would be a great add on. Some electronic version of his A Greek-Hebrew/Aramaic Two-way Index to the Septuagint would be a great addition to the Tov-Polak parallel MT/LXX, given that the index includes different recensions as well as apocryphal lit. I think that an index like this would not be redundant if it could be used to expand the search features of BibleWorks. (Imagine a cross-linguistic search feature where one could click a Greek word and then be lead to a search of all Hebrew and Aramaic reflexes in the OT and Qumran.)

I also think that Danker's Concise Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament would be a worthy addition (as mentioned already). Preferably it would be in the base package (like "Baby Bauer" is now). David J.A. Clines' Concise Dictionary of Classical Hebrew would be a worthy add-on in that it would cover Qumran Hebrew as well as biblical Hebrew. Of course his multi-volume, super-expensive Dictionary of Classical Hebrew would be a real plus.

An expansion of the functionality of the Related Verses Tool and Phrase Matching Tool to allow for cross-version and mulitple verse comparisons would be helpful. I'd love to see a souped up version of this that would be similar to Accordance's INFER command. This would allow for searches for allusions and quotations across corpora. Right now it can be done on a verse by verse basis, but it would be extremely helpful to be able to compare Isaiah 53 to the whole New Testament or Ezekiel with Revelation, or James with Sirach, etc.

One thing that would be great would be some way of setting up an über-index of allusions and intertextual connections that could cross corpora. An xrefs file that could work with biblical texts, Apostolic Fathers, Josephus, Philo, Pseudepigrapha, or any other corpus of material would be extremely helpful. The index could work with references within BW, but it could also point to references outside of BibleWorks (e.g. Talmud, Mishnah, Midrash, etc.). What would REALLY be interesting here would be some means of making this a 'community built' list of allusions where folks could 'vote' on connections in the index or submit new connections if they think they might be there.

A way of expanding the syntax of the External Links Manager would be helpful (for instance, being able to have some kind of array that would convert different characters [like what represents an accent mark, etc.] would be helpful for going from bwgrkl to CCAT for Perseus searches, etc., as would the ability to send Unicode Greek to the web). It would also be helpful to have some means of converting syntax regarding book, chapter or verse number to different sites. So that if Gen 1:1 is represented somewhere as 001.01.01 the ELM could handle it.

Finally I'd love to see the ability to create one's own lexicon. Currently we can create versions, we can create CHM modules, we can even tag CHM modules to work verse-by-verse in the Verse Tab, but it would amazing if we could crunch our own lexicons as well.
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default The more LXX resources the better

Second that. Especially Muraoka's Greek English Lexicon to the Septuagint (2010: though very pricey, I'm afraid) which would be more than welcome (as an add-on or whatever), as would (and has this been mentioned before?) NETS: The New English Translation of the Septuagint.

Another suggestion: I would like to see the Leedy diagrams turned into a tab as well. I am really growing fund of the BW9-interface with its flexibility of dragging tabs around the two Analysis-windows. And I should like to see as much as possible turned into tabs so you can have it open permanently when browsing texts.

Morten

Quote Originally Posted by basilides View Post
    Second that. Especially Muraoka's Greek English Lexicon to the Septuagint (2010: though very pricey, I'm afraid) which would be more than welcome (as an add-on or whatever), as would (and has this been mentioned before?) NETS: The New English Translation of the Septuagint.
    Well, seeing as the Aramaic Peshitta New Testament Database (APNT) is sold as a module maybe something could be worked out for the NETS, too.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    Well, seeing as the Aramaic Peshitta New Testament Database (APNT) is sold as a module maybe something could be worked out for the NETS, too.
    Many BibleWorkers hope so. Then finally we can stop begging Mike B. to provide us with something BibleWorks should have offered years ago (i.e., THE NEW ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF THE SEPTUAGINT), among several other resources mentioned in this thread related to the LXX.

Default Lists, graphs, etc.

One thing I would like to see in the next version of BibleWorks is a way of listing different forms automatically.

I'm doing a little looking right now on second aorist forms (is this the right way of saying it in English?). Take for example ἔρχομαι, 3d pers., plur.:

*ἦλθον: 444x
    *ήλθοσαν: 17x
    *ῆλθαν: 9x

As far as I know, there is no way of making BW spit out an automatic list like this (much less conduct a search for specific endings via a morphological search, i.e., in BGM rather than BGT). Lists of this kind can be useful for teaching and research, and it seems to me like an area that is not very developed in BW. Perhaps others might have come across this. I'd be interested in your feedback (and other examples!).

Actually the Usage Summary for BGM approaches this, but there seems to be no way of sorting out the data in it, or exporting it to a word processor. It's also limited to Biblical texts, if I'm not mistaken.

Don Cobb
    Aix-en-Povence, France

Quote Originally Posted by basilides View Post
    It was mentioned just 6 posts previously to yours. That's what I mean about checking the thread before posting a suggestion. And about the thread having perhaps outlived its usefulness, since it's gotten too long for people to want to take time looking through it.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default Good Grief!

I am well aware of that. Isn't that obvious. I was the one who keeps mentioning it, in the hope that the squeaky wheel will get the grease (hence the red in bold). Good grief!