Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see in BibleWorks 10?

Is the news that Mike B. suddenly inherited a small fortune and has decided to buy German Bible Society?? Cuz that would be pretty neat
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Sorry to be so cryptic. Mike
    Mike Bushell is... The Crypt-Keeper!
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Default Totally Customizable Auto-Updated "Summary" Tab

I know there is already the "Summary" sub-tab under the Resources tab. I would really like to have a Summary (or "custom" or "personal" or whatever) tab that allows me to choose a host of resources to put in there based on my type of study at the time. Commonly, I would love to study with my analysis tab open, along with my personal notes, without giving up a context or browse view.

I often wish I had one tab that updated like the analysis tab with a couple of lexicons + X-refs + personal notes + Strongs + audio pronunciation + maybe even Matthew Henry scrolling off the bottom of the tab.

My suggestion may go against the very clean screen format that BibleWorks has maintained though. I want to cram all my short tools together and go get the more verbose tools with clicks when I need.

You can already do almost all of this!
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkmiami View Post
    I know there is already the "Summary" sub-tab under the Resources tab. I would really like to have a Summary (or "custom" or "personal" or whatever) tab that allows me to choose a host of resources to put in there based on my type of study at the time.
    When you are in the Resources tab, notice the sub-tabs: "Lexicons, Grammars, References." Click on each of those tabs and uncheck any resources which you do not want to see in the Summary tab. Then go back to the "Summary" subtab, and all the unwanted reference works are no longer listed. This procedure also works for the "floating" Resources window (see next).

Commonly, I would love to study with my analysis tab open, along with my personal notes, without giving up a context or browse view.
    Open a "floating" or "secondary" Resources window. (Click the stack-of-books icon on the button bar, titled "Open Resource Summary Window".) Move this floating window to where you can see the rest of BW as you like it, and leave your other tabs (Analysis and Notes or Browse), where they are.

I often wish I had one tab that updated like the analysis tab with a couple of lexicons + X-refs + personal notes + Strongs + audio pronunciation + maybe even Matthew Henry scrolling off the bottom of the tab.
    Your floating references window should do most of this this (lexicons & Matthew Henry), though you still have to get the cross-references, notes, and pronunciation elsewhere. Strongs numbers can be turned on in the Browse window.

My suggestion may go against the very clean screen format that BibleWorks has maintained though. I want to cram all my short tools together and go get the more verbose tools with clicks when I need.
    You can open as many of these floating windows as you wish to "cram" on your screen. You can size them any size you want. Some you can minimize and call up at will, though you cannot minimize the floating Resource Summary Window.
    Enjoy!
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 03-02-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Here's another suggestion for the next or some future version of BibleWorks. Currently in Greek lexica such as BDAG references to biblical verses are hot links; hovering the mouse pointer over them can pop up the biblical text and clicking on them will load the verse(s) into the Browse Window. Nonbiblical references are not linked in this way, even ones that are part of BW, such as Philo, Josephus, and the Apostolic Fathers. I'd like to see these hot links include all texts available in a standard installation of BW, so that one could easily look up a usage in Philo or the Shepherd of Hermas. It's so important when doing studies of words to include as much of the Greek context as possible, not just the NT and LXX.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by davidr View Post
    here's another suggestion for the next or some future version of bibleworks. Currently in greek lexica such as bdag references to biblical verses are hot links; hovering the mouse pointer over them can pop up the biblical text and clicking on them will load the verse(s) into the browse window. Nonbiblical references are not linked in this way, even ones that are part of bw, such as philo, josephus, and the apostolic fathers. I'd like to see these hot links include all texts available in a standard installation of bw, so that one could easily look up a usage in philo or the shepherd of hermas. It's so important when doing studies of words to include as much of the greek context as possible, not just the nt and lxx.
    Amen!!! Preach it!!!
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

I loooove having Pentecostals in the forum!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default Suggestions

• The new The Concise Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament by Danker
    • NETS (New English Translation of the Septuagint)
    • Tagged Vulgate

Quote Originally Posted by dribex View Post
    • The new The Concise Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament by Danker
    • NETS (New English Translation of the Septuagint)
    • Tagged Vulgate
    I tried to post this before but somehow it failed, I think.

NETS has been requested by several people in this thread. I also requested a searchable tagged Vulgate, and learned that a tagged, but non-searchable, version (VULM) is part of the BW9 package already. See my response to Mark Hoffman's post. Pending more information about the VUM that Mark mentioned, a seachable tagged version is still a desideratum.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default Resource request

The Peshitta OT would be extraordinary,
    since it's a Ist to IIId century witness,
    and it would allow complete concordances inside the PES display version.