Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see in BibleWorks 10?

Default Flashcard App for BW on my Android

I have a Galaxy Note II smart phone that has a great screen. I would really like to see the flashcard part of BW offer an app that runs on smart phones and tabs. That could even be a way for BW to gather new users! Especially if it is integrated into modern language grammars. For example, someone studying English from another nation, could use the ESV Biblical Text and focus on certain passages (learning the meanings of words and how to pronounce them). This could enable foreigners who know the passage of the Bible their church is working through to study in advance. Same thing for Americans learning a foreign language. We could study a certain passage in that language and get a jump in preparing for a meeting or talk. There are many uses for this, but in essence it opens up Bible Study for a myriad of directions.

Default Add Flashcard Filtering by top Hebrew Grammars

You know how we can filter the Greek words based on chapters in BBG2? Could we get that for Page Kelley's Hebrew grammar or BBH by Pratico and Van Pelt? And could we get them with modern Hebrew pronunciations of the words instead of the pronunciations included in BBH's audio files? That would be a really nice addition.

I would love to see global forward and backward buttons added. It doesn't seem that every verse viewed is added to the verse list, and then, the verse list itself is a little bit buried in the menu.

I am not sure what you mean by "global forward and backward buttons," but in BW9 over the command line, to the right of the twelve tabs are buttons to go backward or forward through the verses you just looked up.
    The verse history keeps 100 verses, so if you looked up a verse 99 verses ago, it will not add it to the list. Perhaps the functionality could be changed to put that verse at the top of the list, but I suppose that having the program scan the verse history list that way would certainly complicate this feature, but it might make it more useful for the user.
    Also, the Verse History can be added to the button bar, so that you do not have to look through a menu to find it.
    Mark Eddy

Exclamation Add the ability to select from the results list with the keyboard

In my opinion, the single-most missing feature in all BibleWorks editions is the ability to select from results of the search list using the keyboard.

I can press F2, type my search, scroll the list and then ... I have to reach for my mouse. Why not right arrow to select, or Alt+Space, or Ctrl+Enter or something?

Default Selecting search results in Search Window

Hi dsmohler,

The keyboard ability that you request is already present in BibleWorks. After you conduct your search, press the F5 key to select the first entry in your search results list. Then you can use the down arrow to move down the search results list, or you can use the right arrow to move down the list and display the newly-highlight search result. It works very well, and has become one of my new favorite shortcuts.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by "global forward and backward buttons," but in BW9 over the command line, to the right of the twelve tabs are buttons to go backward or forward through the verses you just looked up.
    The verse history keeps 100 verses, so if you looked up a verse 99 verses ago, it will not add it to the list. Perhaps the functionality could be changed to put that verse at the top of the list, but I suppose that having the program scan the verse history list that way would certainly complicate this feature, but it might make it more useful for the user.
    Also, the Verse History can be added to the button bar, so that you do not have to look through a menu to find it.
    Mark Eddy
    Hi Mark,

The problem I find is that the "Search Window History" forward and backward buttons don't recall every verse browsed to, but rather only those which have been clicked on in the search window. For instance, I search for a given Hebrew word, get the results, click on a result in the list, I am taken to that verse and that verse is added to the verse history. But if I then go up and browse manually to a different reference, that reference is not added to the verse list. The verse list seems only to add a verse that's been accessed via the search window and not if browsed to manually. So, since the forward and backward buttons are already in place, I guess the change I'm proposing is that the verse list also add verses that have been browsed to manually. Does that make some sense?

A separate suggestion, I would like to see the book names (displayed in the window and in copy & paste references) match the version to which they belong. So, if the version is French, have the book name in French rather than English; same for Hebrew and Greek.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmohler View Post
    In my opinion, the single-most missing feature in all BibleWorks editions is the ability to select from results of the search list using the keyboard.

I can press F2, type my search, scroll the list and then ... I have to reach for my mouse. Why not right arrow to select, or Alt+Space, or Ctrl+Enter or something?
    You saw Glenn's reply for doing it all via keyboard.
    Conversely, I run the search, click the mouse anywhere in the Browse window, then I use CTRL + the wheel on my mouse to move through results and have them show up.
    (Use CTRL-SHIFT and the mouse wheel to move forward/back a verse at a time.)
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Conversely, I run the search, click the mouse anywhere in the Browse window, then I use CTRL + the wheel on my mouse to move through results and have them show up.
    (Use CTRL-SHIFT and the mouse wheel to move forward/back a verse at a time.)
    Well, that works good for me. Does a shortcut like that also exist for the search window? To just scroll from one verse to another?

Blessings,
    Steffen

Hi Steffen,

The Ctrl + mouse wheel and Ctrl + Shift + mouse wheel works in the Search Window, as well. Ctrl + wheel moves up and down the search results, and Ctrl + Shift + wheel moves one verse at a time.

The keyboard down arrows and the left/right arrows also move through the search hits in the Search Window.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.