Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see in BibleWorks 10?

Default More Microsoft Office integration; namely, OneNote!

1. Would love to see more native/built-in support to use OneNote as a notetaker/resources collector for study.
    2. Windows Phone 8 app

DISCLAIMER: I am a full-time employee at the MSFT corp. in the Office division. That said, I don't think I'm alone in wanting to use OneNote with BW.

-sdo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Huntford View Post
    1. Copy-paste Greek to Microsoft Word, using the Mcrosoft Symbol Font. Wouldn't matter if accents came through.
    Given the widespread availability of Unicode fonts, I don't think there are many people in the world that want the Greek in MS Symbol Font. If you want it, just create your own Greek NT. Start w/ the transliterated version (GRT) or get the original CCAT text and use find/replace in MS Word to create the text you want. (My point is that I think the BW people should be spending their time on other stuff than this.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Huntford View Post
    2. In at least one English version (KJV), one Hebrew, and one Greek, mark the Old Testament Quotations in the New Testament. Mark them in BOTH the Old and New Testaments. Only the part actually quoted, like "Out of Egypt I called my son" in Hosea 11. And make them either a link to each other, or else you hover over them and the "other end of the quotation" pops up. Absolutely the FIRST place everyone should start with "exegesis"!
    This is a very difficult thing you are asking for. Do you want quotations? What about allusions? How many words constitute a quotation? Should it be a quote of the LXX? What if it is not an exact quote of the LXX? Or is it an alternative translation into Greek from the Hebrew? Or from the Targum? Or what if it is in some mss of the Greek NT but not all?
    We actually already have most of the info needed by looking at the TSK in the X-Refs which will give you quotes and allusions and more. The NET Bible notes and the ESV Study Bible notes are also very good for highlighting quotations and references to the OT.

If you want a book, I'd suggest Carson and Beale's Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default Native Linux Version

I use Linux for 95% of my computing. BibleWorks is one of only 3 Windows programs that I use. I've tried BibleWorks with Wine, Crossover, and VirtualBox. All are unsatisfactory for one reason or another. What is really needed is a native Linux version. Now that there is a Mac version, it shouldn't be that hard since Linux and OSX are both based on Unix.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Cobb View Post
    Hebrew

In the non-vocalized Hebrew texts (Dead Sea Scrolls principally, but also the Samaritan Pentateuch in the user-built module), the שׁ (= v) and the שׂ (= f) are represented by a third letter (ש = X). This means that these texts will be eliminated from same language searches, and also come up as variants when using the Text Comparison Settings. It would be nice to harmonize all this!

Also, this may be asking for the moon, but in same language searches, I believe that the mater lectionis readings (in Qumran for example) do not show up in string searches when there are differences on that level with WTT. It would be nice to have a greater coherence between these modules (I believe it's possible to get around this by using WTM as base version, though, if I remember correctly some previous searches).

How about morphologically tagged Hebrew text of some of the important talmudic ressources?

I would love to see some improvement in the lexicons for the Targums, as well as vocalized texts for more of these than are currently available (i.e., only one for the moment).

Any chance of getting some tagged manuscript facsimiles for some of the Dead Sea Scrolls (either Biblical texts or sectarian works)?

Additionally:

I would like to see the Hebrew biblical texts from the DSS incorporated into Bibleworks w/ or w/o morphology.

I am always hoping that the command line interface can someday be fixed so that you can use all of the search codes with Hebrew on the command line (when using the Israeli Hebrew keyboard). It would be nice to not always have to resort to the graphics search Engine.
    HaMilim.netronix.com

a portable version on ipad will be nice (even if it is with reduced functionality).

Default Searching across collections?

One more thing (on my wish list!). In doing comparative word studies, I realized recently that it's not possible to group together multiple resources for word searches, at least not as far as I can see. It would be VERY helpful, for instance, to be able to search on a word or phrase in both BGM and Philo (PHM)--or, better yet, to be able to search on books/passages of BGM and specific books/passages of Philo--at the same time. Along with this, to have both resources integrated into the "use" pane would be WONDERFUL!

This would allow one to see how and where a word from the NT or LXX is used in other non biblical works, especially helpful in works like Philo's De praemiis et poenis, De exsecrationibus (PEP), where Philo paraphrases the Biblical text without ever specifying what passage he is citing.

Of course, it's now possible to search on all same language versions, which is a great feature, but that can become pretty tedious if you are working on specific collections.

Along these same lines, it would helpful to set the "use" pane to respect book limits as can be done with the search pane.

Don Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

I suggest you try going to the menu and selecting search/cross search mode and then selecting search all same language versions. There are 3 different options available. This will allow you to search on a Greek word or lemma across all Greek resources.

Does this accomplish your request?

Quote Originally Posted by jfidel View Post
    I suggest you try going to the menu and selecting search/cross search mode and then selecting search all same language versions. There are 3 different options available. This will allow you to search on a Greek word or lemma across all Greek resources.

Does this accomplish your request?
    Yes, I'm familiar with the cross version search mode and use it regularly. It's great for seeing where and how a word is used anywhere in the collections contained. But, it's too unwieldy for doing a comparison between only two collections or two books in separate collections, as each search goes through each and every collection of Greek (or English, or...) texts. Now, there could be something I'm missing; I usually use the "Search and prune all same language versions" function. I don't really use the "Search all same language display versions" since I don't see any substantial difference between that and an ordinary search.

At any rate, what would be helpful would be something in between a simple search in BGM for instance, and the full blown search, with a way of combining different collections or sections of different collections, and instantly seeing the results in the "use" panel.

Don Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Cobb View Post
    One more thing (on my wish list!). In doing comparative word studies, I realized recently that it's not possible to group together multiple resources for word searches, at least not as far as I can see. It would be VERY helpful, for instance, to be able to search on a word or phrase in both BGM and Philo (PHM)--or, better yet, to be able to search on books/passages of BGM and specific books/passages of Philo--at the same time. Along with this, to have both resources integrated into the "use" pane would be WONDERFUL!

This would allow one to see how and where a word from the NT or LXX is used in other non biblical works, especially helpful in works like Philo's De praemiis et poenis, De exsecrationibus (PEP), where Philo paraphrases the Biblical text without ever specifying what passage he is citing.

Of course, it's now possible to search on all same language versions, which is a great feature, but that can become pretty tedious if you are working on specific collections.

Along these same lines, it would helpful to set the "use" pane to respect book limits as can be done with the search pane.

Don Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France
    How about setting new "favorites", say BGM and Philo and then search "Search all same language display versions"? That gets a bit more structure into your search results...

Blessings,
    Steffen

Quote Originally Posted by christlove View Post
    How about setting new "favorites", say BGM and Philo and then search "Search all same language display versions"? That gets a bit more structure into your search results...

Blessings,
    Steffen
    Dear Steffen,

Perhaps you could give me some pointers on how you get that to work? I can either get the cross version search so that only the search version shows up (e.g., BGM, etc.) or so that every Greek collection in BW is searched. I haven't been able to find a way to perform a search on BGM et PHM only and simultaneously.

Don Cobb