Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see in BibleWorks 10?

the next wish:

h) mouse over a hebrew or greek word display the numerical value and the cross value. Search words with the same values.

God bless you,
    Klaus-Peter
    Germany

A small thing:
    - in the Use-tab, I would like to see a radio button for "Use general search limits" and one for "Use OT" and one for "GT". Or maybe just a dropdown menu with all predefined ranges.

Another thing, discussed in another thread:
    - I would like the Synopsis window and the Parallel window to synchronize with the searches in Command Line/Browse window - so that they will function as floating updated displays of the text viewed in the Browse window.

Finally:
    - It is not possible to change keyboard-layout in Notes and Editor. This should be an easy fix.

Morten

Hmm... As I've said before again and again, if you want to see something in BW, be sure to contact the company through the official suggestion box! They're very good to respond and keep track of things.

Rather than specific suggested resources and features, here are a few suggestions based on my experience working with students in a seminary library and working with the BW blog. I get asked the question "What Bible software should I buy?" quite often. Now, I'm certainly a HUGE FAN(ATIC) of BibleWorks, but I always end up asking a few questions of the students, and sometimes steer them away from BW (depending on their answers).

Main issue: Old Testament / Semitic language support. If a student is planning on going into Old Testament studies, I typically advise them to either start with another software package or buy BW and supplement with something else. If I were to wish for ANYTHING in BW, it would be a continued "focus on the text" but with the inclusion of both sides of the Canon! I am keen to see as much added for OT studies as possible (Peshitta, LXX, Targumic texts, DSS biblical texts, various other manuscripts, etc. - both in transcription and translation, with or without parsing - preferably with). The NT text critical materials included in BW are amazing. I'd love to see this spill over to the OT.

Closely related secondary issue: More non-canonical texts of various stripes, origins and languages. Currently no one beats BW when it comes to early Jewish Greek literature being a part of a software package's base product. BW has it all - LXX, NT, Apostolic Fathers, Greek Old Testament Pseudepigrapha, Josephus, Philo . . . It's a dream come true for students working on lexical studies. Of course the expansion into other Greek literature through the BW Blog, and various user created databases is a HUGE plus. I'd love to see more developed here - even if there was just a concentrated effort on other Koine Greek texts and papyri (for the sake of Biblical Greek lexical studies). But aside from Greek, I'd love to see whatever could be added in Hebrew, Aramaic, Coptic, Syriac, Ethiopic, Latin and even Old Church Slavonic. (If it's in the cognate literature of NT studies, then it could be included . . . going back to the "main issue" above, though, Ugaritic and Akkadian would be great as well.)

A "hobbyist's" issue: When I'm not doing homework or at work, I love tinkering around with creating user created databases. I'd love to see the Version Database Compiler made to be more robust - with the ability to incorporate Unicode fonts, etc. I know that BW's current set up is super quick partly because it is not bloated with a lot of formatting, but sometimes the formatting is a part of the translation (e.g. paragraphing, italicization, bold text, etc.). Also versification and chapter constraints can be a pain. What about verse or chapter 0 for superscriptions, etc. Support of non-canonical hyperlinking in various CHM modules would be extremely helpful. It would be wonderful if a reference to Josephus, Philo, Apostolic Fathers or Pseudepigrapha in BDAG could go directly to the context (as it happens in other packages).

iOS/Android Apps: I wonder here. . . I don't know if I'd want BW to jump into the market on this, as much as I'd like to see someone develop apps and conversion tools to take BW texts (if someone has purchased BW) and put them into an iOS/Android App as needed. For instance, Palm Bible Plus used to be able to import BW texts fairly easily if someone was willing to tinker around a bit. I imagine that if someone with the programming savvy tackled the problem, a similar program could be developed for iOS/Android. The "texts" would not be available for download, but given BW's ability to export and compile versions, perhaps something could be made that could 'read' texts purchased by BW users already . . . just a thought.
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Here is another one that should be pretty easy to implement:
    - every verse-tagged resource showing up in the Resource-tab should be made available for "browse-reading" in the 4. pane. As it is possible right now under Verse with NET, Metzger etc.

This way, you could follow whichever Reference-module, you have installed without opening a help dial-box.

Morten

Mark Eddy--kudos to you for being willing to make the variants available. That'd be a huge helps to folks.

Agreed about NETS--that should be in here.

And while Jim Darlack's words are not Scripture, in these matters they come close, so I won't "add to" what he said. Except to say that if BW10 could do for Hebrew text-critical studies what BW9 did for Greek, that would be great.

The ability to drop and drag windows would be cool, too.

And better integration with Macs would also be nice, though I know BW is working on that already with BW9.

Off the top of my cranium:

1. Formatted text that includes line-breaks in poetry -- or the option to have same.
    2. Versions: Lexham and Modern Language Bible. The latter was a worthy translation, though it never really caught on. It's still worth referencing.
    3. Make it easy to link notes in one verse to notes in another verse. If it's doable currently, I don't know how.

There may be more, but that's what comes to mind. I just really love the program as-is.
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Default Lexham English Bible is Available in Bible Works

Prof. Kevin W. Woodruff, M. Div., M. S. I. S.
    Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of
    Bible and Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
    Tennessee Temple University/Temple Baptist Seminary,
    1815 Union Ave.
    Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404, United States of America
    423/493-4252 (office) 423/493-4423 (home) 423/493-4497
    (FAX)
    woodruk@tntemple.edu Cierpke@prodigy.net
    http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W. Woodruff View Post
    Thanks very much; that's the NT, but lacks the OT. I wonder if it's the same ver of NT as in Logos now?
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Another small thing:
    - when you hover over the name of the Bible in the Browse Window, it would be nice with a small popup window with info on the text (like what you get in the Analysis-tab, just, that tab is not always open).

Morten

Quote Originally Posted by MortenJensen View Post
    Another small thing:
    - when you hover over the name of the Bible in the Browse Window, it would be nice with a small popup window with info on the text (like what you get in the Analysis-tab, just, that tab is not always open).
    Of course, this information is available by right-clicking the Bible version's abbreviation and selecting "Edit version notes for this version"; but a popup would be simpler. (And the version notes are indeed editable. I'm not quite sure to what end; I suppose one could put in things like, "This was Uncle Dave's favorite translation, and you know what was wrong with him. )
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia