Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see in BibleWorks 10?

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    We do have such a version already. Use VULM, VUT, or VUM. Then have the Analysis pane open. The morphology is provided for all the words in the verse and, for VULM, a gloss is provided using Whittaker's.
    Sorry for a bit of thread drift here, folks!

Mark, I don't see VUT or VUM in my installation of BW9 (current version, 9.0.012m.1). I had VUC, VUL, and VUO installed (and I generally use VUL, using VUO only in the Psalms, because it shows the Iuxta Hebraeos rather than the version made from LXX). Your post moved me to check the disc, and there I did indeed find VULM, as well as NOV, the Nova Vulgata, both of which I promptly installed, so that does get me Vulgate morphology (and thanks for that!), but of course the morphology is not searchable.

However, neither the complete online list of BW9 contents nor the list of bibliographical entries shows any sign VUT or VUM. What are they exactly?
    Last edited by DavidR; 02-12-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Cobb View Post
    Visuals
    It would be nice to have the possibility of setting single versions in the Browse Window in such a way that breaks are made according to paragraphs and not verses (you can actually do this in multiple version mode if you set it up for several verses, but it's far from ideal for at least a couple reasons). Without this, BW isn't really a great program for simply reading files.
    I strongly second this one! It can be useful to focus on a small unit of the text, but generally speaking "verse-by-verse" exegesis is (or should be) a thing of the past. We need the verses as a standard reference system, but for reading, understanding, and analyzing the text, we need to work with sentence and paragraph units. Many of the texts in BW do have paragraph divisions available, and you can show those markers (in Browse Window Configuration Options). But it would be great to have the Browse Window and Browse tab in the Analysis Window have an option to display paragraphs as such, without the verse breaks.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

And let me add one more: Should it really be necessary to restart the computer every time a text or two is added from the distribution discs? I just added a couple of Latin versions to my installation, and the reboot afterward seemed unduly cumbersome for such a simple modification.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    And let me add one more: Should it really be necessary to restart the computer every time a text or two is added from the distribution discs? I just added a couple of Latin versions to my installation, and the reboot afterward seemed unduly cumbersome for such a simple modification.
    If all you did was add texts, I don't think the reboot was necessary. Usually programs when they are installed ask you to reboot because they may add this or that small thing to start up or registry and it takes a reboot for that to kick in. I assume BW installer just has that reboot message as part of the installer whether or not you do something big or little.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    If all you did was add texts, I don't think the reboot was necessary. Usually programs when they are installed ask you to reboot because they may add this or that small thing to start up or registry and it takes a reboot for that to kick in. I assume BW installer just has that reboot message as part of the installer whether or not you do something big or little.
    Yes, that's what I was thinking. Yet when a program updater asks me to reboot, I always think it wise to obey. Thus I guess what I want is for the installer itself to know when a reboot is really necessary and only request it when it is needed.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Yes, that's what I was thinking. Yet when a program updater asks me to reboot, I always think it wise to obey. Thus I guess what I want is for the installer itself to know when a reboot is really necessary and only request it when it is needed.
    See I'm much more rebellious If the computer acts funny, I might think of restarting, but otherwise I only restart or shut off my computer when I'm going to be gone for days at a time.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    See I'm much more rebellious If the computer acts funny, I might think of restarting, but otherwise I only restart or shut off my computer when I'm going to be gone for days at a time.
    Rom. 13:1-2

καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Ressources

Greek

I would love to see some more morphologically tagged versions of non-Biblical Koine and Classical Greek texts, e.g., Epictetus, Plato, etc. Text-only versions for several of these can already be found in the User built ressources, and are easy enough to integrate. But it would be nice to have the morphology versions for the links to vocabulary and use with the search engine ("cross version search mode").
    I have started morphological databases for a number of the classical or koine Greek databases which Michael Hanel has made available: Aristophanes, Epictetus, Herodotus, Plato, and Xenophon. I add to one when I do a cross-version search and find an interesting word to study. Doing a lot of "replace all" work speeds up the process. But I have been doing this in my spare time for years, and don't have more than a few "verses" in each of these databases which are completed. If anybody would like to take over on one of these, I would be willing to send you what I have to date and let you take over. Then I can concentrate on one of the others.

It would be very helpful to have a critical apparatus with the LXX, especially as there are sometimes whole passages that are missing in Rahlfs (e.g., a whole section of the David and Goliath passage). If it could be searched along with BGT and BGM that would be wonderful.

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France
    I have actually been working on this as an avocation, but it takes forever (at least doing it in my spare time, when I'm not working on a different project or doing my ministry). I am almost done with an LXX variants database which supplies the missing verses in Rahlfs with text from the Rahlfs footnotes (and in a few cases from an older LXX printed edition in my possession). I have a lot of work to do with its companion morphology database. After Easter I might have some time to work on it. Since I am taking the text from the Rahlfs footnotes, and since Rahlfs is still under copyright, I do not know if I can share this work with anybody else. But of all the databases I mentioned here, this one is the closest to being completely functional.
    Mark Eddy

Default Rahlfs info

Hi Mark (Eddy),

I believe that the Rahlfs text (1935) is in the public domain. I believe that the German copyright laws only cover 75 years, compared to the US laws which cover 95 years. The updated Rahlfs-Hanhart text is under copyright, however.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Dear Glenn,
    That's good to know. I guess when I have a functional LXX variants database I'll make it available to everyone God-willing.
    Mark Eddy