Thread: two questions on copying/viewing Hebrew

Default two questions on copying/viewing Hebrew

I have two small "how to fix" questions.
    1. Whether it is in an MS Word document, or in Daily Light in BibleWorks 9 itself, I often see rectangular boxes around characters. This happens especially with final forms like Kaph and Pe, but I see it around the Lamed in אֱלֹהֵיכֶֽם
    I don't see the box in this message, but I see it in MS Word 2002 right now. This was copied as part of a phrase from Lev 19:2 WTT. I don't know if I set something to trigger this, but I have not done much to set the way that Hebrew appears since I last rebuilt my .ini file after replacing it with the default one. I do display Hebrew in a larger sized font than many would (20 pt.) but that doesn't explain this oddity to me. Has anyone else ever seen this?

2. I've now learned some about word processing software and SBL Hebrew here and by experimenting. However, I'm still trying to figure out how to mix a line of Hebrew and English. I pasted a line of Hebrew from WTT Lev 19:2 into MS Word. While Hebrew normally is aligned right, I had to align it left to make it follow immediately after an English word. However, no matter what I do, I can't get the English word that comes after the phrase to show up on the same line as the last Hebrew word. If I try to get it there, there is no space between the Hebrew and the English and if I hit the space bar, the Hebrew word moves right, rather than a space appearing between the Hebrew and the English. (In fact, I've experienced oddities in trying to insert anything between Hebrew words or put blanks on the left or right of a Hebrew word or copy one Hebrew word out of a group of Hebrew words.) Any suggestions as to how to accomplish this simple goal of having Hebrew followed by English on one line? Thanks.

Ken

1. I'm not sure, but your problem could derive from the auto-correct, "smart quotes," or similar functions of MS Word that change characters into something else altogether.

2. That can be a real headache, but I've found better success by typing and/or copying into the BibleWorks editor, and then when I am finished, copying it from the BW editor into MS Word.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I have two small "how to fix" questions.

2. I've now learned some about word processing software and SBL Hebrew here and by experimenting. However, I'm still trying to figure out how to mix a line of Hebrew and English. I pasted a line of Hebrew from WTT Lev 19:2 into MS Word. While Hebrew normally is aligned right, I had to align it left to make it follow immediately after an English word. However, no matter what I do, I can't get the English word that comes after the phrase to show up on the same line as the last Hebrew word. If I try to get it there, there is no space between the Hebrew and the English and if I hit the space bar, the Hebrew word moves right, rather than a space appearing between the Hebrew and the English. (In fact, I've experienced oddities in trying to insert anything between Hebrew words or put blanks on the left or right of a Hebrew word or copy one Hebrew word out of a group of Hebrew words.) Any suggestions as to how to accomplish this simple goal of having Hebrew followed by English on one line? Thanks.

Ken
    I use MS Word 2003, and one work-around I found is to type a space after the first letter of the English word, then re-type that letter after the space, and delete the original first letter:
    HEBREWbe holy
    HEBREWb e holy
    HEBREWb be holy
    HEBREW be holy

Mark Eddy

I've found that the easiest thing for me is to type a comma and then the following word, paste in the Hebrew word before the comma, and then delete the comma. It's the same principle as Mark's.

Donald COBB
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Default Alternative word processor

I'm always hesitant to do this, because I know this forum is not for promoting other software. However, for people who want to do even halfway-scholarly work involving Greek, Hebrew, and other non-Roman languages, MS Word is not the best word processor to use. Instead, you might consider looking at Nota Bene. In NB, mixing English and Hebrew on the same line and seeing vowel points and final letters, etc., is absolutely trivial. Press Ctrl+Shift+H and you're typing Hebrew; press Ctrl+Shift+R and you're typing in the Roman alphabet (English, French, Spanish, German, whatever). You can type in Greek or Cyrillic-alphabet languages just as easily.

I'm attaching two small demo files. I copied Psalm 104:24 into Nota Bene using the BW popup copy utility and did a small amount of format cleanup (mainly type size; of course, the Masoretic cantillation marks could have been excluded using the methods suggested in reply to Duncan's other post). Then I typed a couple of English sentences. In the first one, I typed in a Hebrew phrase; in the second I copied a phrase in from BW using ordinary copy and paste (again with some minor formatting cleanup). Note that final forms and vowels can be either typed or pasted perfectly. I printed it out to PDF format for viewing; I also saved it as RTF, which I then imported into MS Word and saved as .DOC.

Nota Bene is currently in a very late beta stage of version 10, updated for contemporary versions of Windows. It is much more than a multilingual word processor: it manages bibliography (both a database of books and articles, and proper formatting for various publishers' styles) and research notes as well. It is designed for use by writers and scholars, not business people, and has a multitude of features appropriate for such use.

I apologize if this is off-subject for this forum. I do hope, though, that the information will be useful for Duncan and others.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DavidR; 04-21-2014 at 12:29 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia