Thread: CNTTS apparatus

Default CNTTS apparatus

Do you use the CNTTS apparatus? Do you find it easy to use?
    Logos is advertising it for the future. Wondering about whether it will be worth having in Logos, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gontroppo View Post
    Do you use the CNTTS apparatus?
    Yes, I use it every time I open BibleWorks 9 provided I am studying the NT.

Do you find it easy to use?
    Yes, I find it very easy to use. BibleWorks 9 comes with video instruction on their version of the CNTTS apparatus.

Logos is advertising it for the future. Wondering about whether it will be worth having in Logos, too.
    If, you use the CNTTS a lot in either Accordance or in BibleWorks and like it, it will also probably be a great buy in Logos. I am sure Logos' implication of the CNTTS will have a different layout from that of the version found in BibleWorks9 and will operate a bit differently, too. Logos version will probably be some really beautiful eye candy!

However, I have mixed feelings about Logos' version of the CNTTS because of some of the issues I have had with their original language texts (Logos is getting better in this regard). Accordance and BibleWorks are known specifically for their effort to make sure their original language resources are free from typos, error, and bugs. In fact that is one of BibleWorks' biggest selling points after all that is BibleWorks area of specialty.

BibleWorks has been gracious and has done a great service to offer the CNTTS apparatus for free or for no extra charge other than what one pays for when one buys or upgrades to BibleWorks9 for.
    Last edited by bkMitchell; 09-07-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

I do use it and find it helpful, sometimes in conjunction with the Metzger Textual Commentary and/or NET Bible notes. Working on a sermon on Matthew 18:15-20 just now, it was useful for getting some clarity about the presence or absence of εἰς σὲ in verse 15.

It does take time to learn how to use effectively. Many of the symbols can be clicked to pop up a Help screen with information, which is generally enough to give me the basic idea, though I do think it could be fuller in some cases.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Thumbs up

Thanks for these interesting, informative replies. I should come here more often!

David McKay

Pardon the comment, but what I can't understand for the life of me is why anyone would want to pay $100 ($99.95), i.e., for a stand alone module that by itself represents nearly a third of the overall price of BW9, whereas BW includes it in its base package. My advice to anyone thinking of buying Biblical software is always: buy BW9, learn to use it, and then, for different modules that don't come with it, buy them in Logos or Accordance, as you need them.

Sure, this means you have to switch between software, but compared with the money saved, that (for me at any rate) is a non-issue. Maybe I'm just too Scottish, but I will never understand the principle of laying out money for a comparable product that comes with no extra charge.

I'm also all for encouraging people to go with a company that's not a Behemoth, and that sees the commercial side of things as a consequence of their convictions, rather than vice versa (sorry, that was a pot shot, I do apologize, but it really is my impression!).

Regards,

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France
    Last edited by Donald Cobb; 09-08-2014 at 02:26 AM. Reason: correction on the price (I got it too low!)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Cobb View Post
    Pardon the comment, but what I can't understand for the life of me is why anyone would want to pay $100 ($99.95), i.e., for a stand alone module that by itself represents nearly a third of the overall price of BW9, whereas BW includes it in its base package. My advice to anyone thinking of buying Biblical software is always: buy BW9, learn to use it, and then, for different modules that don't come with it, buy them in Logos or Accordance, as you need them.

Sure, this means you have to switch between software, but compared with the money saved, that (for me at any rate) is a non-issue. Maybe I'm just too Scottish, but I will never understand the principle of laying out money for a comparable product that comes with no extra charge.

I'm also all for encouraging people to go with a company that's not a Behemoth, and that sees the commercial side of things as a consequence of their convictions, rather than vice versa (sorry, that was a pot shot, I do apologize, but it really is my impression!).

Regards,

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France
    No Need to pardon your comment - it's my reasoning as well and I agree completely.
    Peter

Default CNTTS in Logos

I have the CNTTS both in Logos 6 and BW 9. The BW implementation is excellent. They treat it as it was meant to be treated—as a resource built for a digital world. Logos, unfortunately, treats it like any digitized hard copy book. The layout of the CNTTS in Logos is quite good for browsing. So, if you want to use it like any other originally hard copy apparatus, then it may be sufficient in Logos. However, compared to the implementation in BW, Logos CNTTS search capabilities are useless. Hopefully, they will remedy this in the future. For now, I wouldn't recommend purchasing it in Logos.