Thread: Access to the two Assistant dial.boxes

Default Access to the two Assistant dial.boxes

Hi all,
    Is it not correct that Morph. Assistant and Command L. Assistant only are accessible via the Button-bar?
    If so, why is that? You even have to add the icons for them manually.

Why are they not listed under Search in the top line + under the green Tools below the CL?

Morten

Default Other ways to get Command Line Assistance

I would go about it this way.
    From BW Help:
    When you right click on the Command Line the Command Line Context Menu will open. It has the following
    options:
    Insert Search Parameter Code
    This option presents a submenu of special search codes that can be inserted on the Command Line.
    Code Insertion Buttons
    This option adds "code insertion" buttons just under the Command Line. These enable you to easily add special characters to the Command Line text. It is useful because some non-US keyboards do not have all the special characters used by Command Line searches.
    Command Line Morphology Help
    This option enables and disables the popup help that appears as you type morphology codes on the Command Line.

Hi Greg,

Yes, I know about those. Still, some beginners like the dialogue box-approach. So it is just a funny thing that BW has buried the access to those as deep as it seems (you have to insert buttons for them).

Morten

There was some talk before BW9 came out of dropping the command line assistant altogether, since everything in it is available simply by making a morphology version the search version and then start typing, and suggestions will automatically be made. E.g. after you type the @ symbol on the command line, you will see a drop-down list of what you may choose next (noun, verb, adj. adv. etc. etc.). After you choose that, the appropriate drop-down list will display for the next choice, until you have reached the end of possiblities.
    If you are looking for the proper way to make various types of searches, if you click on "Tools" under the command line and choose "Command Line Examples," Help chapter 37 opens up, and you can scroll through it to find just about any shortcut you desire.
    Mark Eddy

Thanks, Mark

I know about this and as a daily user of BW, the speed of the interface is imperative to me.
    However, I am experiencing that my students have a hard time getting BW under their belt. They obtain some knowledge through our training module and then forget about it. When they later return to BW, they are completely lost on searches - because it is not intuitive that you have to change to BGM and type @ after the lemma.

My point: the interface of BW is not commenting itself to newbies. I would like to see some work on BW's "pedagogical side", so to speak. Some "mac-easiness".

One way could be to establish a welcome-screen (which of cause can be ticked off) providing the user with some easy choices: (1) look up a text: type the reference here, (2) search for a word: type the word here + enter limits - and so on.

Makes sense?

Morten

Morten, it not only makes sense, but it sounds like a good idea. You make it an official suggestion.
    Mark Eddy