Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share your best tip for student instruction

Hybrid View

Default Share your best tip for student instruction

Hi all,
    I have the pleasure of introducing BW to a new class of students - I am amazed at what BW is capable of, when you go through it all from scratch.

Now, I would like to put together a list with the "10 best tips" or so for daily use. Something like:

- jump to Command Line with "Esc".
    - browse through single verses in Browse Window with the arrow keys.
    - name your Favorites with short names, so they can be easily called forward without using the mouse.

I am thinking of the daily routines that help us use BW much more smoothly.

Does anyone have some to add? Some suggestions?
    Which shortcuts and commands do you use so much that you have almost forgotten how life was before?

Thanks,
    Morten

Some quick tips:
    • ESC ESC to go to and clear command line
    • In the command line: d= display; l = limit; c=clear
    • In command line, if you are having trouble remembering when to start a search w/ a period or whatever, enable Code Insertion Buttons (right click in command line and enable)
    • When going to a verse, you can separate chapter and verse by colon, comma, period, or space (ie Joh 3:16 or 3,16 or 3.16 or 3 16)
    • W/ mouse in Browse window: b > for browsing; n for notes toggles
    • Pay attention to the green/yellow boxes under the command line. A yellow one reminds you that have some restriction in place
    • When moving mouse from browse to analysis pane, hold shift key to keep analysis info from changing
    • When in doubt, right-click or F1
    • Did you just lose the analysis pane? Look at the bottom of the BW window and double-click Analysis. (Check out the other stuff there too)
    • When in the browse pane, I find it preferable for the up/down arrow keys to progress by verse (rather than just move up/down in the pane). W/ mouse clicked in browse pane, hit CTRL-SHIFT down arrow. As you do so, look in bottom left of BW window. Keep hitting that CTRL-SHIFT down arrow until it says Scroll Mode is now in Sync Mode
    • If you have a wheel mouse, CTRL-SHIFT wheel will move up/down by verses in browse pane.
    • If you have a wheel mouse, CTRL wheel will move up/down by search results and display them in browse pane.
    • To switch the focus to a different version in the browse pane, double-click on the superscripted version abbreviation. (This is helpful if you want to change browse mode.)
    • BibleWorks Shortcuts and Command Line Searches - This is a two-page list of most search functions in BibleWorks. (Jim Darlack)

Here is just about everything I know about BW with tips on installation, customization, and guides for use of BW.
    Last edited by MGVH; 02-07-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Mark,
    This is ABSOLUTELY great stuff. Thank you so much!
    Two things: It seems as the link to install guide 3 links to install guide 2.
    The other thing: When you have compiled groups of Favorites, can you then share them with your students? Are they saved as separate files or only in the ini-file?

Thanks again!
    Morten

Hi, Morten,
    I had a bunch of old/missing links I had copied/pasted from an earlier page.
    You will see that I now simply send you to a page with everything I've got.
    HERE it is!
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MortenJensen View Post
    Mark,

The other thing: When you have compiled groups of Favorites, can you then share them with your students? Are they saved as separate files or only in the ini-file?
    Morten
    Different Mark, but I can answer this. The Favorites are saved in lines of the ini file, not as separate files. You can share them with your students, if you have the ini file open in a text editor and copy and paste from your file to theirs. This is how I do it between my two computers. Someone else may have found a better way, but this works, as long as both computers have the same versions installed.
    Mark Eddy

Thanks to both of you.

Another nice tip for the daily tasks:
    - the easiest way to copy a lemma to clipboard is to use the WTM or BGM-versions in the Browse Window rather than the lexicons.

Morten

Default Start using Command Line Shortcuts early!

When I teach BW at GCTS, I always encourage students to use the command line to set up search and display versions (rather than using various dialog boxes and drop down menus).

Here's a link to another page that I give students (besides the one that Mark shared earlier):

http://www.gordonconwell.edu/library...s_tutorial.pdf

It shows people immediately how to set up a search for NT word studies (NT/LXX, Josephus, Philo, Apostolic Fathers, Pseudepigrapha).
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Belated thanks, Mark, for this very useful list. I just added these last two items to my ERMIE (a feature of which I have been shockingly ignorant; I am only beginning to see what an incredibly useful, extensible research tool it is).
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

David, could you give a couple of examples on how you use the Ermie?
    Morten

Quote Originally Posted by MortenJensen View Post
    David, could you give a couple of examples on how you use the Ermie?
    Morten
    Well, as I say, I've really only just begun to discover it, so I don't actually have any examples yet. But I'll bet others here do. (Hint, hint.)
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia