Thread: All sentences beginning with "And"

Hybrid View

Default All sentences beginning with "And"

How do you do a Bible search for every instance of "And" when it begins a sentence?

• Choose the version you want to search in the command line
    • (Set search limits if desired)
    • Use the Graphical Search Engine (click on Tools in green bar below command line and select)
    • When the GSE opens, double-click on the empty word box and type in "and" as the word you are searching for
    • On the right side of that box, click to check "Specify position in verse" and make sure it's #1 from beginning > OK
    • Run search
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    • Choose the version you want to search in the command line
    • (Set search limits if desired)
    • Use the Graphical Search Engine (click on Tools in green bar below command line and select)
    • When the GSE opens, double-click on the empty word box and type in "and" as the word you are searching for
    • On the right side of that box, click to check "Specify position in verse" and make sure it's #1 from beginning > OK
    • Run search
    That gives me every verse that begins with "and." However, I want every SENTENCE that begins with "And."

Sometimes the "and" at the beginning of a verse is mid-sentence. I want to exclude those. Sometimes "And" at the beginning of a sentence is mid-verse. I want to include those.

Okay, I figured it out. There's a "Case-sensitive" option in GSE.

Default And another way is ...

Using a "Regular Expression" on the command line works too (not available for Greek/Hebrew).
    ~^And on the command line will do the same thing.
    (In my experience the statistics are not always accurate for Regular Expression Searches; create a Verse List from the search result and then export that back to the Search Window to display accurate statistics.)