Thread: Verse Map for CEB

Default Verse Map for CEB

Today I applied "CEB Version Update (9.0.0010p)" which carries the description "This update adds the Apocrypha to the Common English Version (CEB)."

This seemed a little odd, because I already have the CEB Apocrypha.
    When I checked the _updstat.txt file it agreed that all but 2 of my CEB files were current. The two exceptions were the CEB.vmf and CEB.vmc, the verse mapping files.

When I compared the new vmf file with the old one (I think that the previous CEB.vmf update was part of update "Verse Map Files (9.0.0009k)" posted 05/03/2012 00:08:02) I discovered interesting changes.
    The older one, from a vmf update, had 647 records.
    The new one, from this CEB update, has 479 records.
    The older one is notable for mapping a lot of stuff to LXT Ode ...
    The new one has Jdt and Sip mappings to LXT, which are absent in the older.

Many of the differences involve LXT mappings, but some are for WTT, many for GNT.

The upshot of all this rambling is, if Mark Eddy (or some other knowledgeable person) sees this I'd like an opinion on which of these I should use.

Thanks,
    Jim

Default CEB Verse Map

Jim,Use the one in the CEB update. The problem arose when I posted the mapping file update with Mark's latest changes. The CEB mapping file there had the apocrypha but this file was incompatible with the last CD pressing which has a CEB version without Apocrypha. Updating the mapping files and not updating the CEB created installation errors. The solution was to remove the CEB mapping file from the mapping update and stick it in with the CEB files. That in turn necessitated a new CEB post even though nothing had changed but the mapping file. In short, if you got the CEB update you are fine. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Jim,Use the one in the CEB update. The problem arose when I posted the mapping file update with Mark's latest changes. The CEB mapping file there had the apocrypha but this file was incompatible with the last CD pressing which has a CEB version without Apocrypha. Updating the mapping files and not updating the CEB created installation errors. The solution was to remove the CEB mapping file from the mapping update and stick it in with the CEB files. That in turn necessitated a new CEB post even though nothing had changed but the mapping file. In short, if you got the CEB update you are fine. Mike
    Thank you very much, Mike. Makes sense.

--Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    When I compared the new vmf file with the old one (I think that the previous CEB.vmf update was part of update "Verse Map Files (9.0.0009k)" posted 05/03/2012 00:08:02) I discovered interesting changes.
    The older one, from a vmf update, had 647 records.
    The new one, from this CEB update, has 479 records.
    The older one is notable for mapping a lot of stuff to LXT Ode ...
    The new one has Jdt and Sip mappings to LXT, which are absent in the older.

Many of the differences involve LXT mappings, but some are for WTT, many for GNT.

The upshot of all this rambling is, if Mark Eddy (or some other knowledgeable person) sees this I'd like an opinion on which of these I should use.
    Jim
    When the apocrypha was first added to CEB in BW9, the RSV verse mappings for the apocrypha were used as a stop-grap measure. The RSV is the only version in BW which has verses mapped to Odes, just so that a BW user can see some English translation of the Odes, even though no translation of the Bible actually translates the Odes as a book. When I discovered that the apocrypha verse mapping for the CEB was just the RSV mapping, I decided to remove the Odes' verse mappings from CEB, leaving the RSV unique in regard to Odes (I probably should suggest that BibleWorks Help show this on its chart of the apocrypha). If users want, I can put Odes back into CEB (or add them to any other version).
    I am still in the process of going through the CEB verse mappings in the apocrypha, so whenever I find mappings which are incorrect, I change them. And when I find some which were not in RSV but are needed for CEB, I add them.
    BW has provided a number of new versions in the last year. So I have checked them all in the NT, which resulted in the changes for GNT. WTT changes usually come up only when I come across them in my personal Bible study.
    So, as Michael said, use the ceb.vmf from the CEB update for now. The changes are intentional, and correct. But further corrections should be made in the coming months.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 02-02-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Help suggestion for clarification

Default My CEB remapping didn't take.

Thanks, Mark.

As always your response is helpful and enlightening.

Now I have to look further at the Odes!