Thread: Edit 'Tips Word'

Hybrid View

Default Edit 'Tips Word'

Hello:
    When "Show tips Word" is enabled, if you move the mouse cursor over a word in the Browse window, a popup window appears giving information about the word. OK.
    I am preparing a translation of the Bible into Spanish, and I would love to edit this popup to put my own translation of the Greek word in question instead of the default that appears in BW. Can this be done?
    Thanks for your help.

Interesting question. I have a suspicion that this is not going to be possible, though I really don't know. Using a file search tool, I searched for files in the BibleWorks folder and subfolders containing some of the brief definitions/tips for the Hebrew text (incense, underworld, contemplative) and managed to refine it down to 10 files that contain all of these words (fbdblex.dbx, hotvoc.dbx, hotvoc.vrc, hotvoc.vrt, isbedict.dbx, lsjm.dbx, nasheblx.dat, nauheblx.dat, net.dbx, twot.dbx). These obviously relate to various lexica and dictionaries; but they contain masses of indecipherable codes and are just not intended to be edited by users. And I'm really not sure that any of them is the one with the word tips.

There is probably another solution to this, perhaps involving creating your own .chm ("help") files, with which I have no experience. Other users here are likely to have plausible suggestions, but for now I wouldn't put a lot of hope into editing the tips themselves.
    Last edited by DavidR; 01-26-2013 at 03:05 PM.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by xevij View Post
    Hello:
    When "Show tips Word" is enabled, if you move the mouse cursor over a word in the Browse window, a popup window appears giving information about the word. OK.
    I am preparing a translation of the Bible into Spanish, and I would love to edit this popup to put my own translation of the Greek word in question instead of the default that appears in BW. Can this be done?
    Thanks for your help.
    It is possible, but it is not really something that is built into the program. In other words, you have to do some editing of master files yourself. So if you do this, you should always make backups of any files that you modify.

The Wordtips come from the gntvoc.vrc (for Greek words) and hotvoc.vrc (for Hebrew words). These files are vocabulary files that have been compiled through the Vocabulary Module (Tools | Language Tools | Vocabulary Flashcard Module) in BibleWorks. The uncompiled versions of them have a .vrt extension (so gntvoc.vrt and hotvoc.vrt). These .vrt files are tab-delimited plaintext files that can be edited in Excel (or a plain text editor). What you would want to do is 1) backup all of these files, 2) Delete the English gloss column, 3) replace the English glosses with whatever glosses you want, 4) Save this file, 5) Compile the file within the Flashcard Module 5 1/2) In Windows Explorer rename this vocabulary file to gntvoc.vrc/hotvoc.vrc depending on whether it is Greek or Hebrew and 6) restart BibleWorks and your wordtip glosses should appear instead of the default ones.

Again, this is how you would change the wordtips, but this is not a BW-supported modification. If at any time BW sends out an update of the gntvoc or hotvoc files, that will overwrite whatever modifications you have made, so you will want backups of your before and after versions.
    Last edited by Michael Hanel; 01-30-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

I totally stand corrected, Michael. I didn't really look at the .vrt files. Given diligent backing up, this sounds quite doable.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    It is possible, but it is not really something that is built into the program. In other words, you have to do some editing of master files yourself. So if you do this, you should always make backups of any files that you modify.

The Wordtips come from the gntvoc.vrc (for Greek words) and hotvoc.vrc (for Hebrew words). These files are vocabulary files that have been compiled through the Vocabulary Module (Tools | Language Tools | Vocabulary Flashcard Module) in BibleWorks. The uncompiled versions of them have a .vrt extension (so gntvoc.vrt and hotvoc.vrt). These .vrt files are tab-delimited plaintext files that can be edited in Excel (or a plain text editor). What you would want to do is 1) backup all of these files, 2) Delete the English gloss column, 3) replace the English glosses with whatever glosses you want, 4) Save this file, 5) Compile the file within the Flashcard Module and 6) restart BibleWorks and your wordtip glosses should appear instead of the default ones.

Again, this is how you would change the wordtips, but this is not a BW-supported modification. If at any time BW sends out an update of the gntvoc or hotvoc files, that will overwrite whatever modifications you have made, so you will want backups of your before and after versions.
    Thank you. I think I understand, and I'll try to do.
    xevij

Thank you. I think I understand, and I'll try to do.
    xevij
    Hey I just noticed that a lot of the heavy lifting on the Greek side has already been done for you. There's a zip file you can download in this thread.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Hey I just noticed that a lot of the heavy lifting on the Greek side has already been done for you. There's a zip file you can download in this thread.
    Thank you. I did not realize it.

Thank you. I had not realized it.
    Anyway, so I can open one Vocabulary Flashcard Module, but in the Browse Window, when you move the mouse cursor over a word, in the popup window still appear the definitions in English and not in Spanish. Is it possible to do the latter?
    Thanks again.

xevij

Thank you. I had not realized it.
    Anyway, so I can open one Vocabulary Flashcard Module, but in the Browse Window, when you move the mouse cursor over a word, in the popup window still appear the definitions in English and not in Spanish. Is it possible to do the latter?
    Thanks again.

xevij

I think I may have missed an important step in my instructions above. If you have a file open in the flashcard module its file is XXXXX.vrc. If you want those words to be used for the wordtips, you must rename that file XXXX.vrc to gntvoc.vrc (if it's Greek) or hotvoc.vrc (if it's Hebrew). That was sort of assumed in my explanation above, but I don't think I explicitly said it.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!