Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Browse Window Shortcut Key

We stand in open shame as it is this day ...

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    We stand in open shame as it is this day ...
    I will confess I don't think I had ever used the popup command line, but just because David mentioned it, I thought, Hmm, might as well try it out to see what it's like...
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Are you guys telling me that you haven't read the entirety of the BibleWorks Help file??? I will admit that I don't use all of the features of BibleWorks (how could a person?), but my knowledge of the possible does at least extend a bit farther than my use. And even if it doesn't, I read the Help files and pretend I knew about it all along (shhh!)
    Ah, Michael, how familiar this sounds to me. It applies to so much of my spiritual and moral life! There, to be sure, I know much more of what's possible than I use; but I do continue to read the Help files.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

First, thanks for your thorough answer, Michael. Interestingly, when I have my mouse in the Browse Window header area and hit the F1 key, the online Windows Help File pops up, not the BibleWorks Help file.
    I had the same problem with my HP laptop a while back. Someone (maybe Adelphos?) pointed out to me that for my setup, you need to hold down the "fn" key (down near the left control and alt keys) when hitting F1, and it will bring up BW help instead of Windows help.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Right you are, Lee. (I tried it.) Thanks. I am on an HP Laptop, by the way! I guess it must be an HP thing. Again, thanks.

Right you are, Lee. (I tried it.) Thanks. I am on an HP Laptop, by the way! I guess it must be an HP thing. Again, thanks.
    Glad to pass on the help that I received myself. And it does seem to be an HP thing with any function key in any program.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    It never would have occurred to me that anything would happen if I right-clicked there. Fascinating little dialog! I learned that there are more buttons to show, with little sacrifice of display area, and some of them look to be worthwhile. And I can open a popup command line! Not sure just yet what I might use it for, but I bet I'll think of something. Thanks, Michael!

Long ago I learned something to the effect that in rabbinic logic there is an expression איו לדבר סוף, "There is no end to the matter," referring to a logical infinite regress. But I would like to apply that expression, in a positive way, to BibleWorks, its capabilities, and its interface!
    I have found the popup command line very useful when I want to navigate while using the Parallel Versions window. Click in the pane you want to be the master version, then enter the reference you want in the popup. Note: you have to enter the full reference -- the popup edition of the command line will not remember book or chapter.

(I just tried F1 in the Browse Window Header, and found this gem):
    Open Popup CL - Opens up a floating command line which allows the user to change verse references or do a search. This is intended primarily for use with the Parallel Versions Window, which can sometimes hide the Main Window command line.

By the way, a right click in the header area of the Parallel window gives you the same context menu as the main browse window header, so you can invoke the popup command line right there.
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 01-25-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Add last paragraph.

Say, that is nifty! I often use a big honkin' Parallel Versions Window to compare translations, and it completely hides the main BW window. I'm sure I'll find that popup CL handy there! Of course, if I use it to search, I have to go back to the main window for the results list, but still it looks useful.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia