Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browse Window Shortcut Key

Default Browse Window Shortcut Key

I accidentally pressed the 'l' key while my cursor was in the Browse Window. I got the following message:

"You have pressed the shortcut key "l".
    This shortcut key checks the browse window link checkbox."

I looked everywhere in the online help and could find nothing about this. Grateful if anyone could explain this feature/option, and where I might find this checkbox. Also, is this something that I would even want to have checked? Thanks.

Right click in the Browse Window "header" area and make sure "Show Current Verse" is selected. Then you'll be able to see the checkbox for this option. As the Help file says the checkbox is used for synchronizing multiple browse windows.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Right click in the Browse Window "header" area and make sure "Show Current Verse" is selected. Then you'll be able to see the checkbox for this option. As the Help file says the checkbox is used for synchronizing multiple browse windows.
    Thanks, Michael. Two followup questions, if I might (I just thought of a third):

1. Could you please point me to where in the help file I might find that reference (numbered section would be very helpful)?

2. Is the checkbox checked by default or in the original BW configuration?

3. Should I want the box checked?

4. (Sorry, just thought of a fourth question ) When you say that the checkbox synchronizes multiple browse windows, do you mean floating browse windows, the browse tab in the Analysis Window, or both?

Thanks much in advance for putting up with my multiple queries. (I tried to synchronize them!)

Irving

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Thanks, Michael. Two followup questions, if I might (I just thought of a third):

1. Could you please point me to where in the help file I might find that reference (numbered section would be very helpful)?
    If you keep your mouse in that Browse Window header area, just hit the F1 key. That pops up the Help file to the relevant area. If you navigate Help the old fashioned way, this is the section titled "The Browse Window" - under The Browse Window Header you will see this bullet

Show Current Verse - This option displays the current Browse Window verse reference at the top of the Browse Window text area. The current search version is also shown, as well as the number of the verse in the version from which it comes. It also displays a check box and a radio button that are used when synchronizing multiple Browse Window.

2. Is the checkbox checked by default or in the original BW configuration?
    I can't tell if this is one question or two, but the answer is: The checkbox is checked in the default condition in BibleWorks.

3. Should I want the box checked?
    It depends on how you use BibleWorks I guess. I leave it checked.

4. (Sorry, just thought of a fourth question ) When you say that the checkbox synchronizes multiple browse windows, do you mean floating browse windows, the browse tab in the Analysis Window, or both?
    Any of the above. E.g. If you have the main Browse window at John 2:1 and open the Browse Tab in the Anaylsis Window and you go to John 8:5 or something. If you have last clicked in that Browse Tab and then up on the Toolbar icon strip at the top, if you click the gold and silver arrows that are in a circle shape (I think in the default icon list it's fifth from the right), that will automatically sync the main Browse Window to John 8:5. That's the default behavior. However, if you have unchecked the checkbox in the main Browse Window that links that Browse Window to all open Browse Windows, when you click the Sync button in the Toolbar, nothing will happen. So that's the difference between checking and unchecking that checkbox.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

If you keep your mouse in that Browse Window header area, just hit the F1 key. That pops up the Help file to the relevant area.
    First, thanks for your thorough answer, Michael. Interestingly, when I have my mouse in the Browse Window header area and hit the F1 key, the online Windows Help File pops up, not the BibleWorks Help file.

If you navigate Help the old fashioned way, this is the section titled "The Browse Window" - under The Browse Window Header you will see this bullet

Found it.

I can't tell if this is one question or two, but the answer is: The checkbox is checked in the default condition in BibleWorks.
    Thanks. One question, not asked as clearly as it might have been.

Any of the above. E.g. If you have the main Browse window at John 2:1 and open the Browse Tab in the Anaylsis Window and you go to John 8:5 or something. If you have last clicked in that Browse Tab and then up on the Toolbar icon strip at the top, if you click the gold and silver arrows that are in a circle shape (I think in the default icon list it's fifth from the right), that will automatically sync the main Browse Window to John 8:5. That's the default behavior. However, if you have unchecked the checkbox in the main Browse Window that links that Browse Window to all open Browse Windows, when you click the Sync button in the Toolbar, nothing will happen. So that's the difference between checking and unchecking that checkbox.
    Thanks much for the explanation. By the way, what if you want the main Browse Window to be the controlling window for all of the other open Browse Windows (or and including the Browse Tab)? In your example, for example (redundant usage of 'example,' I know!), when you synchronized Browse Windows, the main Browse Window landed on the verse that was being viewed in the Browse Tab of the Analysis Window. What if, in that same example, I had wanted the Browse Tab to revert back to the verse showing in the Main Browse Window? How would I accomplish that? Hope my question is clear. And hope I am not beating a dead horse here. Thanks again for all of your help.

Thanks much for the explanation. By the way, what if you want the main Browse Window to be the controlling window for all of the other open Browse Windows (or and including the Browse Tab)? In your example, for example (redundant usage of 'example,' I know!), when you synchronized Browse Windows, the main Browse Window landed on the verse that was being viewed in the Browse Tab of the Analysis Window. What if, in that same example, I had wanted the Browse Tab to revert back to the verse showing in the Main Browse Window? How would I accomplish that? Hope my question is clear. And hope I am not beating a dead horse here. Thanks again for all of your help.
    When you press that synchronize arrow icon, BW will force all linked browse windows to sync with whatever Browse Window is the "active" one. The rule of thumb is that the last browse window you were working in is the active one. The other way you can know is that if you have that Show Current Verse option checked in the Browse window, you will know if the Browse Window is active if it has the radio button (the circular one) filled in. If it's not filled in, it means it's not the active one and whatever other Browse window you're using will be the one that forces that main Browse window to sync to it rather than vice versa if you press the Sync arrow icon.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Great answer. Thanks Michael, you've answered all my questions. Now, who knows? I may not have another question for the rest of my life! I doubt that though.

It never would have occurred to me that anything would happen if I right-clicked there. Fascinating little dialog! I learned that there are more buttons to show, with little sacrifice of display area, and some of them look to be worthwhile. And I can open a popup command line! Not sure just yet what I might use it for, but I bet I'll think of something. Thanks, Michael!

Long ago I learned something to the effect that in rabbinic logic there is an expression איו לדבר סוף, "There is no end to the matter," referring to a logical infinite regress. But I would like to apply that expression, in a positive way, to BibleWorks, its capabilities, and its interface!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

A hearty "amen" to your application of the rabbinic saying to BibleWorks' infinite capabilities, David!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    It never would have occurred to me that anything would happen if I right-clicked there. Fascinating little dialog! I learned that there are more buttons to show, with little sacrifice of display area, and some of them look to be worthwhile. And I can open a popup command line! Not sure just yet what I might use it for, but I bet I'll think of something. Thanks, Michael!
    Are you guys telling me that you haven't read the entirety of the BibleWorks Help file??? I will admit that I don't use all of the features of BibleWorks (how could a person?), but my knowledge of the possible does at least extend a bit farther than my use. And even if it doesn't, I read the Help files and pretend I knew about it all along (shhh!)
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!