Thread: Public Preview interface, and other features?

Default Public Preview interface, and other features?

Since using a Mac much more this past year, I've used BibleWorks less, although I still have a used PC laptop that I bought a year ago just for BibleWorks.

I was thrilled to see the Public Preview version come out. When I first saw and used it, though, the interface (it looks like something on a mac a couple of OSs ago) and the lack of full functionality (resizing windows drags "residue" across the screen in the MT-LXX parallel; Archer and Chirichigno is often slow or non-responsive) led me to not use it as much.

But I'm finding there are some features in BibleWorks that I have a hard time doing without, even owning other software--the Use tab, the fact that the LXX+GNT exist together in one version, etc. So I'm looking at it again, but now wondering...

Is there a time frame for when the Mac version is expected to look and feel and act more like the PC version?
    Also, are the window resizing issues documented somewhere as known issues? I can send screenshots if need be.

I'd love to see BibleWorks continue to develop this.

Curious if anyone can comment on the above, especially any forum admins/BW staff?

Hi Abram,
    We're addressing the issues, but the crashes and other high-priority items are getting hit first. We've logged and are tracking all known issues. Almost all reported issues are on the Mac side, and those are addressed by CodeWeavers (they control the WINE customizations). If the issue is on the PC side, we are able to address that in-house and such fixes happen more quickly.
    I'm not aware of the two glitches you report. If you don't mind, could you please get the most recent dmg installer and BW9 EXE and see if the problems remain? If so, if you could capture them in a brief Quicktime video, that would be very helpful for us to report it to CodeWeavers.
    CodeWeavers is also rolling out new technology that will enable the GUI look and feel to be updated. We're told it should show up in custom builds like ours after the first quarter of 2013.
    Thanks.
    Michael

Hi, Michael,

Thanks very much for your reply. That sounds great. I'm glad to hear that.

I do have the latest bibleworks-9r3-20130103.dmg and had the latest .exe before the one released two days ago. It was still doing what I described. Now with that new .exe the issue with Archer and Chirichigno persists. Tov-Polak, too.

Sorry for the remedial question, but how do I take a Quicktime video of this? Here are screenshots.

Name:  Screen shot 2013-01-16 at 2.18.32 PM.png
Views: 78
Size:  136.9 KB

Name:  Screen shot 2013-01-16 at 2.20.20 PM.png
Views: 80
Size:  96.7 KB

Archer and Chirichigno then makes the program hang, and I have to close it (force quit).

P.S. I would think that's almost surely a Mac issue, as BibleWorks in Windows doesn't do that for me.

Abram,
    Thank you. That's helpful. I can reproduce the Hebrew-LXX error and have logged it for repair. I'm not able to reproduce the Archer & Chirichigno CHM error. Does it happen with every page in the file? What version of MacOS are you running?
    Michael

Ah, thank you, Michael. The MT-LXX parallel is probably what I use most for BibleWorks--I still find it the best laid-out version of that module among the various Bible softwares.

I'm running 10.6.8. Archer and Chirichigno gives me intermittent responses like that, so I don't know that it's any one area of it in particular.