Thread: Enclose Verse Text in Quotes

Hybrid View

Default Enclose Verse Text in Quotes

In the 'Copy Format Options' dialog - related to the Popup Copy Window, in this particular instance - there is an Output Option called "Enclose Verse Text in Quotes." I have that checked (because I like to have quotation marks around scriptural text in my documents). But when I copy a range of verses, it inserts quotation marks around each verse separately. That seems rather odd to me. It should only insert quotation marks at the beginning and end of the scriptural quote. (Please understand that I have nothing against the internal quotation marks proprietary to the version. I am not now talking about that. This copy feature adds quotation marks to every verse in a range, in addition to the former.) Anyone know how I might get this feature to work correctly or better? Thanks.

I was going to offer a suggestion or two, but I can't get BW to respond to any settings I make through this dialog at all. I'm going to Tools > Options, then under Output Format Options choosing either Verse List or Range, or Selected Browse Text. I've tried changing settings such as Enclose verse text in quotes, Remove interior verse numbers, etc., and nothing changes in what is copied to the clipboard. In other words, I not only can't help you, I can't get even what you've got going to work for me!
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Default Copy Option

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I was going to offer a suggestion or two, but I can't get BW to respond to any settings I make through this dialog at all. I'm going to Tools > Options, then under Output Format Options choosing either Verse List or Range, or Selected Browse Text. I've tried changing settings such as Enclose verse text in quotes, Remove interior verse numbers, etc., and nothing changes in what is copied to the clipboard. In other words, I not only can't help you, I can't get even what you've got going to work for me!
    David, you have to choose "Verse List or Range" in the options dialog and then select "Popup Copy Window" in the list box on the upper left. ANother way to get there is in the Popup Copy Window click on "Favorites" and choose "Configure Popup Copy Favorites".

With regard to the original question about quotes, that is just the way it was designed to work. The proposed behavior could be added as an option but the copy options are already pretty complex and I am not sure how many people would use it.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I guess I will uncheck the option ("Enclose Verse Test in Quotes") and go back to manually inserting quotation marks (once at the beginning of the quote, once at the end) in MS Word.

David, thanks for trying to make suggestions!

Thanks, Mike. OTOH, I was testing by trying to configure Selected Browse Text in that same options dialog. Some of the options seemed to work, some didn't. For instance, I couldn't get it to put quotes around the copied text, or to place a reference either before or after it. However, Remove CF/LF did work. I see now what my mistake was: I was doing my copying, not from the Browse Window, but from the Browse tab in the Analysis Window, which does not respond to all of those options.

In fact, the original issue could be resolved by clicking these options for Selected Browse Text: Enclose verse in quotes; Remove CR/LF. That will copy text with quotation marks before and after it to the clipboard, but will remove the paragraph breaks (carriage return + line feed) after every verse, so that the whole quotation is a single paragraph with quotation marks only at the beginning and end. The catch is you have to copy and paste from the Browse Window rather than using the Popup Copy Window.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

In fact, the original issue could be resolved by clicking these options for Selected Browse Text: Enclose verse in quotes; Remove CR/LF. That will copy text with quotation marks before and after it to the clipboard, but will remove the paragraph breaks (carriage return + line feed) after every verse, so that the whole quotation is a single paragraph with quotation marks only at the beginning and end. The catch is you have to copy and paste from the Browse Window rather than using the Popup Copy Window.
    Thanks, David. If I took your suggestion above of putting a check mark beside 'Enclose Verse in Quotes,' but didn't select 'Remove CR/LF,' would it still accomplish what I want (= Quotation marks at the beginning and end of the quote) if I copy selected text in the Browse Window?

Irving

Thanks, Mike. OTOH, I was testing by trying to configure Selected Browse Text in that same options dialog. Some of the options seemed to work, some didn't. For instance, I couldn't get it to put quotes around the copied text, or to place a reference either before or after it. However, Remove CF/LF did work. I see now what my mistake was: I was doing my copying, not from the Browse Window, but from the Browse tab in the Analysis Window, which does not respond to all of those options.

The basic problem from a programming point of view is the fact that there are so many configuration options and they all interact to some extent with each other. We have tried to test and design around what we thought would be the most useful scenarios, but it is probably impossible to test all the permutations. There are certainly combinations of settings that we haven't tested. Some may work and others not. If we get a lot of requests for new features or combinations we will do our best to implement them, but we have to be cautious because of the law of unintended consequences. I will add this issue to the list we are building for possible incorporation in BW10 (still a long ways off).

Mike