Thread: problem with Bibleworks Resources

Default problem with Bibleworks Resources

I'm writing on behalf of hubby, a blind Bibleworks user. We've recently reinstalled his Bibleworks as we gave him a hardware upgrade.

This seems to be a recent problem, and because he's blind, I wonder if he has misclicked somwhere changing the view, but he swears not. We've tried everything and don't seem to be able to fix it.

Anyhow this is how he describes the problem:

"The Summary tab of the Resources pane is not working properly. It seems to point to verse entries in selected lexicons, but not in grammars; and to references in Matthew Henry, Leedy and Tischendorf, but not Schaff or Metzger. "

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Toseland View Post
    I'm writing on behalf of hubby, a blind Bibleworks user. We've recently reinstalled his Bibleworks as we gave him a hardware upgrade.

This seems to be a recent problem, and because he's blind, I wonder if he has misclicked somwhere changing the view, but he swears not. We've tried everything and don't seem to be able to fix it.

Anyhow this is how he describes the problem:

"The Summary tab of the Resources pane is not working properly. It seems to point to verse entries in selected lexicons, but not in grammars; and to references in Matthew Henry, Leedy and Tischendorf, but not Schaff or Metzger. "
    In the Resources tab there is the Summary tab which you refer to. There are also other tabs for Lexicons, Grammars, etc. Click on those other sub-tabs and make sure those other resources are selected. If they are not, they won't show up in the Summary tab.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Apology, and clarification of my problem

Thank you very much, Michael, but I must apologise (I am now writing in person; my wife Evelyn made the original post on my behalf). I should have described my problem more clearly: it is that some (not all) selected resources are not showing up in the Summary tab. For example. I have Schaff, Metzger and Tischendorf selected in the References tab, but only Tischendorf appears in the Summary tab. In the Grammar tab I have BDF, Robertson and Wallace selected, but verse entries in these works are not showing in the Summary either. I've used BW almost daily for some years, and have never encountered this problem before. We have tried BW's repair routines, but that didn't fix it. Metzger, Robertson, BDF etc are accessible from the Tools menu, but not from Resesources/Summary.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Toseland View Post
    Thank you very much, Michael, but I must apologise (I am now writing in person; my wife Evelyn made the original post on my behalf). I should have described my problem more clearly: it is that some (not all) selected resources are not showing up in the Summary tab. For example. I have Schaff, Metzger and Tischendorf selected in the References tab, but only Tischendorf appears in the Summary tab. In the Grammar tab I have BDF, Robertson and Wallace selected, but verse entries in these works are not showing in the Summary either. I've used BW almost daily for some years, and have never encountered this problem before. We have tried BW's repair routines, but that didn't fix it. Metzger, Robertson, BDF etc are accessible from the Tools menu, but not from Resesources/Summary.
    Could you give me an example of where it's not working just to see if I can reproduce the problem? Since you've had BibleWorks for awhile, I assume it's not as simple as the fact that a reference will not show up in the Summary window if the Bible verse in the Browse Window is not linked to the resource.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

In order for a reference work to display in the resource summary tab that work has to mention the verse which is displaying in the browse window (E.g. for John 1:1 the reference work would have to have a citation of Joh 1:1 or Joh 1:1-5 etc.). Otherwise it will not display in the list for the current verse. Tischendorf has an entry for every verse in the NT. So you will always see it in the summary tab. But Metzger has entries for far fewer than half the verses of the NT. So you should not expect to see Metzger as often. Schaff usually has something for every verse, sometimes scores of entries. But it is possible that none of the early church fathers quoted an obscure verse in the NT, so Schaff would not have an entry for that verse.
    I suggest moving the browse window to a verse like Joh 1:1, and all the resources should display in the summary tab. At least they do for me.
    And if you happen to switch to an O.T. verse, far fewer resources will display in the summary tab, simply because far fewer resources quote O.T. verses.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 01-07-2013 at 08:55 PM.