Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Analytical research in Bibleworks 9

Default Analytical research in Bibleworks 9

Hello,

I have a question: how can I do in BW9 an analytical research? If I enter for instance the word 'sin' in an english version, is it possible to get all the verses in Hebrew and in Greek (in one or two steps, but this does not matter), so that I can find quickly the different hebrew or greek words which are all translated by 'sin'. I have the analytical concordance of the Bible by Young, which is a very old concordance and there I see in a "book" for the word 'sin' for instance all the hebrew and greek words which are translated by sin. How can I do that in BW9?

sin_amartia_1jo.qf

I hope I've attached this file correctly. If I have, you open it with the GSE (the round, blue button on the button-bar) or the menu item "Search | Graphical Search Engine"

I confined the search to 1 John for brevity by type "l 1jo" on the command line (without the quotes), and I suggest you do the same until you familiarize yourself with the query. Note that this search will not automatically correlate "sin" to "amartia". Rather, it will give you verses where "sin" is found in the KJV and where "amartia" is found in the BGM, but this does not necessarly mean that the word "sin" in the KJV corresponds to "amartia" in the BGM.

In most cases it will, but you have to go through it manually to make sure. If the query file attached properly it should get you started in the right direction.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 01-05-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Thank you very much for this quick reply. It worked perfectly, and I realize that it is very difficult or even impossible to reproduce this old analytical concordance of the Bible by Young, or some equivalent, because in the modern language instead of 'sin' one could also use for instance 'offense' and so it is only step by step that one reproduces in BW9 what you know from the book. But what I hoped was the inverse, but I realize that is not possible. Thank you very much.

I append my query.
    Attached Files Attached Files

In fact, to be more clear, there are three greek words for 'sin' and 9 hebrew words for 'sin'. So an analytical study is very complicated even in BW as you do not know immediately which modern word the translator has used, in this case (I work in German) there are at least two!!

That's certainly another way to do it. As you said, it's a very complicated search due to the nature of it, and I don't know of any program out there that can nail it, but if you limit your search to small sections and then go through them manually, BibleWorks will get almost all of them. The only ones you might possibly miss is places where the Hebrew or Greek word is not rendered by any notion of the word "sin", such as in a paraphrase or something like that, but if you are working in a formal-equivalent translation then you should catch pretty much all of them.

Default A few more ways

There a number of ways to accomplish what you I think you are trying to do.
    1. One way is to search in one of the lexicons for the word you want. For Greek, and since you are working auf Deutsch, you could use the Preuschen Lexicon in BibleWorks.Open the lexicon, click on Edit > Search. Click on English (even though you are actually using the German) and the Top of File button. Enter the German word you are looking for and hit Find Next. Repeat and it will show you all the Greek words that have been translated with Sünde or Schuld or whatever you want. You can use the Pons Lexicon to search the Hebrew. Once you have the words, you will still have to search for them...
      Name:  bw.sin.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  106.8 KB
    2. Another way to find the words you want in Greek is to use the Louw-Nida Lexicon. In their domain categorization, "sin" is 88L = 88.289-318. Note that you can search on L-N domains from the command line. Set BGM as your search version. Right-click in the command line and find the domain you want. In this instance, your search will be: .<88.289-318> Also note that since you are searching the BGM, you will also get all the hits in the LXX of the OT. BTW, I get 2316 hits using this method.
    3. Another options is a reverse search of Strong's Concordance. Again, this is only English. (Is their a German equivalent to Strong's?) You can go the Blue Letter Bible online site, search for the word, then click on the LexiConc tab, and it will give you all the Hebrew and Greek words that are translated with that word in the English version you have chosen. HERE is an example.

I think the Louw-Nida (#2) way would be easiest since it gives you the search results right away in BW. Wish I could offer you more for German...

(Logos actually has a very easy way to do the search you want via use of their reverse interlinears, but I think it only works for English, not German.)

Alles Gutes!
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Thank you very much. I will work through this detailed response and come back in due time. Edmond

I have looked through your propositions. Number 2 and 3 work perfectly and I am excited about them. For Number 1 I have to purchase first the two dictionaries to appreciate your solution. As to logos, I do not have it. Perhaps you can give me some hint how and what to purchase in order to be able to do such a research via the reverse interlinear and how it adds something substantially to Bibleworks. Thank you. Edmond

The Preuschen and Pons German lexicons are standard with BibleWorks since version 8 at least.
    CORRECTION: Adelphos (whose reply is just below this) is correct. They are available for purchase as modules. Preuschen isn't too expensive, and Pons is a bit more.
    Last edited by MGVH; 01-07-2013 at 09:24 AM.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools