Thread: SBL Greek Font Question

Hybrid View

Default SBL Greek Font Question

I have downloaded, and am trying to use, the SBL Greek Font. Some of the letters are in a "different" location to the bwgreek, but I will get used to that.

However, I cannot find either the iota subscript, the ";" sign (for the question mark), or the sign for the semi-colon.

Could someone please help me.

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    I have downloaded, and am trying to use, the SBL Greek Font. Some of the letters are in a "different" location to the bwgreek, but I will get used to that.

However, I cannot find either the iota subscript, the ";" sign (for the question mark), or the sign for the semi-colon.

Could someone please help me.

Many thanks.
    How or where are you using SBL Greek? It's a Unicode font so the way you type in Unicode Greek will determine where the iota subscript is found, but you should be able to type a iota subscript the same way in SBL Greek font as you would in Palatino or any other Unicode font. I probably won't be very good at explaining where to find it because I use Tavultesoft's Keyman to do all my Unicode Greek typing and it uses a different keyboard map than the default one in Windows.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    How or where are you using SBL Greek?
    Microsoft Word with the default Windows keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    Microsoft Word with the default Windows keyboard.
    Maybe someone with the default keyboard can respond. In the keyboard that I am using, you get a iota subscript by typing | after the vowel, which is exactly the same mapping used for BWGrkl font (the benefit of using Keyman).

Otherwise, maybe this webpage will provide insight.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

You press the "Q" key to get the question mark (i.e., semi-colon), but I don't use the font anymore and therefore I don't remember where the iota subscript is, but you can try these two sites:

http://www.sbl-site.org/educational/biblicalfonts.aspx

http://forum.fontlab.com/sbl-fonts

The second is the SBL forum where I'm sure anyone there can answer all your questions about this font.

It depends on the Unicode Greek keyboard you are using. I'm not sure how you are getting any Greek using Microsoft Word with the default Windows keyboard. (Are you sure you are actually typing with SBL Greek?)

I have info here on various Unicode Greek keyboards you can use, and they each include keyboard layouts.
    LINK FIXED
    Last edited by MGVH; 01-04-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools