Thread: Anyone help - I'm new to BibleWorks!

Lightbulb Anyone help - I'm new to BibleWorks!

I bought edition 7 some years ago and found it was a struggle to get started, despite the number of videos. I then changed jobs and found myself in our national office as Comms director. Not needing to preach as often as when I was ministering to a local congregation, I never persued my BibleWorks 7 programme. I have recently changed again back to local ministry. I wish now to revisit BibleWorks and start using it for study and preaching. I am computer literate and keen to learn but am finding it very difficult to get started again. I am in the UK and a number of resourses that are available are completely unknown to me. So, anyone out there who could help me get started beyond just looking up a text which i have worked out how to do? Many thanks. MartyZell

There was a recent thread that had a lot of helpful advise on a similar topic. I will link it in the bottom.
    Click to View Thread
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!

I'm coming back, too. I last used BW in v. 3.5! So, if I'm reading everything correctly, it looks like the videos are the best way to get started. Is that correct?

Yes, in my opinion, the videos are a great tool to learn all the things that BibleWorks can do. There was also a webpage given for some tips in creating an Exegetical through BibleWorks that I found very helpful. I haven't checked out all the videos yet, they probably have a ways to go, but BibleWorks 10 is still very new.
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!

A few beginner tips:
    1. Hitting the "ESC" key once clears the command line and hitting it a second time puts your cursor on the command line.
    2. Right click in the command line and make sure "Command Line Morphology Help" is checked. This will provide the choices of characters you need for morphology searches.
    3. Click on "Tools" right below the Command Line and look at "Command Line Examples" to show you how to do the particular search you are attempting.

Here is a BW seminar on video:

I haven't watched this particular one, but I watched another seminar on video when I started, and it gives you plenty to get you going.

Otherwise, just use it, experiment with it, try to figure things out from the help sections and videos provided with BW, and come here when you're stumped.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.

The context sensitive help works pretty well. Click or hover your mouse where you are having a question and hit F1. It usually brings up the right help topic.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default Thanks, everyone

Thanks, everyone for taking the time to respond to my thread. I've managed to get much further into using BW, with your help. I am looking forward now to developing my skills with the programme further. Thanks again. MartyZell