Thread: Access to User created files

Hybrid View

Default Access to User created files

This message is especially for Michael Hanel, Jim Darlack, Mark Hoffman (but anyone who has the answer, feel free to respond!).

One of the Christmas presents I was thinking of offering myself was installing some of the user created files, especially some of the classical Greek literature and Post-Biblical Jewish writings. I've downloaded the list Michael posted on this forum a month or so ago. However, actually finding these files is not so simple a matter! I've looked through newintheold up till about 2008 and have found several of them but not all.

Is there a way of easily locating these files in a one-stop location? I suppose I could do a search one by one in "old in the new" but if there's any way to avoid that, it would be nice!

Thanks for any help!

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Default Navigating the Bibleworks Blog

I find the easiest way is using the tabs at the top of each page. They mostly consist of lists of downloads in each category. I often then look in the regular blog entries for more information on that particular item. (Sometimes I find more info, sometimes I don't.) The "Versions" and "Modules" tabs are the ones with the most stuff in them.

The top of the "Versions" page:
    Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  303.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    I find the easiest way is using the tabs at the top of each page. They mostly consist of lists of downloads in each category. I often then look in the regular blog entries for more information on that particular item. (Sometimes I find more info, sometimes I don't.) The "Versions" and "Modules" tabs are the ones with the most stuff in them.
    Jim Wert has the best suggestion. Generally if we post new versions we try to post notice of them both on the blog and on the BW forums here, but we're human and that might not always have happened. But the original reason for the blog was to provide a one-stop shop, so it would be my first go-to option rather than trying to find files here on the Forums. Also links are more likely to work on the Blog than on the forum posts, which may be outdated.

The unofficial BibleWorks Blog - versions
    The unofficial BibleWorks Blog - modules
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Hmm... I thought I had posted this update, but I guess I never did...

I have a full list of all available BibleWorks texts posted online with a categorization of their contents, language, abbreviations, and paired texts.
    For the user-created versions, I have the links embedded that either take you to the page on Old in the New or open the file directly.
    If I've done things correctly, you should be able to view (but not edit) this page, and the links are active. (The user-created ones have a blue, underlined U. Probable due to rendering from Excel to Google Doc, you will be able to click on the link if you have your cursor just to the left of the U.)
    BW9 Texts as of 2012.09
    Let me know if you have any trouble opening the file.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    Hmm... I thought I had posted this update, but I guess I never did...

I have a full list of all available BibleWorks texts posted online with a categorization of their contents, language, abbreviations, and paired texts.
    For the user-created versions, I have the links embedded that either take you to the page on Old in the New or open the file directly.
    If I've done things correctly, you should be able to view (but not edit) this page, and the links are active. (The user-created ones have a blue, underlined U. Probable due to rendering from Excel to Google Doc, you will be able to click on the link if you have your cursor just to the left of the U.)
    BW9 Texts as of 2012.09
    Let me know if you have any trouble opening the file.
    I noticed that you have lamsa's translation of the OT Peshitta listed, but I could not find the user-created database anywhere. Can you kindly provide the link?

Quote Originally Posted by acheung View Post
    I noticed that you have lamsa's translation of the OT Peshitta listed, but I could not find the user-created database anywhere. Can you kindly provide the link?
    If you look closely, you'll see that it is a U with an asterisk. If you scroll down far enough to page 7, you'll see: "U*: These are user-created versions from texts available on the Internet, but they are not available for distribution."
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Jim Wert has the best suggestion. Generally if we post new versions we try to post notice of them both on the blog and on the BW forums here, but we're human and that might not always have happened. But the original reason for the blog was to provide a one-stop shop, so it would be my first go-to option rather than trying to find files here on the Forums. Also links are more likely to work on the Blog than on the forum posts, which may be outdated.

The unofficial BibleWorks Blog - versions
    The unofficial BibleWorks Blog - modules
    Many thanks to Jim, Michael and Mark! Got it! Mark, I wasn't able to pull up the excel file--I needed to pull out my Google password and, at the end of the year and beginning of Christmas vacation, I'm just too lazy to do that for the moment! I'll take a look a little later.

Many blessings on you all during this Christmas season.

Donald Cobb