Thread: Error in Magiera Peshitta Translation in Joh 4,21?

Default Error in Magiera Peshitta Translation in Joh 4,21?

Dear Friends,

I was just reading the Peshitta Module at John 4,21 and compared the Magiera translation with it - but the Verb ܬܣܓܕܘܢ
    is Peal, Imperfect 2 Pers. mask. Plural and not 3.Pers. mask. pl. - so I guess the Magiera translation has a failure when rendering it as " will THEY worship the Father" - It should read "will YOU worship the Father".Right ?

Yours in Christ !
    Peter, Germany
    Last edited by Peter; 12-18-2012 at 06:15 PM.

You're right. I haven't used the Magiera before, but this is clearly an error.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    You're right. I haven't used the Magiera before, but this is clearly an error.
    Thanks, David ! Magiera is ok so far and some minor errors occur everywhere. I like the Syriac-English lexicon, which BibleWorks provides, although I've detected some minor errors as well. But it's great to have the meanings at one glance. Thank you, BibleWorks ! It makes work much easier !

Peter, Germany

Where is the Syriac-English lexicon? I can't locate it.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Dear David,

you'd need the Peshitta Add-on for BibleWorks, which is provided for only some bucks. Besides the supreme Syriac lexicon, there is a morphologial tagged version of the Peshitta NT included, which is a great benefit. I want to show you how it works, but I cannot upload a screenshot, as it exceeds the allowed file size. If you're interested I could send it to your Email adress.
    My only wish for 2013 would be a transliteration or a vocalised version of the Peshitta, as I sometimes can't figure out which vowel to substitute.
    Yours
    Peter, Germany

The error in the verse which began this thread is not only in the translation itself, but it is also in the the gloss (based on the Syriac lexicon) which appears in the analysis window. The morphology version says that the form is 2nd person, but the gloss says "they will worship."
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 12-21-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    you'd need the Peshitta Add-on for BibleWorks, which is provided for only some bucks. Besides the supreme Syriac lexicon, there is a morphologial tagged version of the Peshitta NT included, which is a great benefit. I want to show you how it works, but I cannot upload a screenshot, as it exceeds the allowed file size. If you're interested I could send it to your Email adress.
    I have the morphologically tagged Peshitta NT, but I can't locate a Syriac lexicon (other than the glosses that come up when hovering over a word). I just glanced through the complete list of BW 9 resources on the BW Website, and I don't see it there either. Can you clarify?
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I have the morphologically tagged Peshitta NT, but I can't locate a Syriac lexicon (other than the glosses that come up when hovering over a word). I just glanced through the complete list of BW 9 resources on the BW Website, and I don't see it there either. Can you clarify?
    The closest thing I could find was the "Analysis" tab. When I hover over a PEH or PES word the title of the Analysis window is "Peshitta Lexicon", and it shows various information:

Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  288.8 KB

Thanks, Jim. I hadn't noticed that before. Perhaps that's it. And just now I've found some information on the lexicon. It's part of APNT (Aramaic Peshitta New Testament Database), Janet Magiera. I found it in the Database Sources and Copyrights section of the help (sec. 70). OK, that clears it up: I do have it, but like so many things, I wasn't using it.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia