Thread: Copy and Paste Nonfunctional Using Control Click from Keyboard

Hybrid View

Default Copy and Paste Nonfunctional Using Control Click from Keyboard

When in the browse window am unable to control click on text to copy text to a Pages or Word document. This works well in the Windows version, but not functional in Mac version?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMiSki View Post
    When in the browse window am unable to control click on text to copy text to a Pages or Word document. This works well in the Windows version, but not functional in Mac version?
    You be having the same difficulty that threw me for a loop a couple times. I don't often use the right click copy function, but when I first did, I experienced some frustrations until I realized you have to 1) select your text, 2) right click over the word or phrase you want to copy and then hover the mouse over "copy selected text," 3) make sure "copy to clipboard" is checked, and then 4) hover over "copy to clipboard" and click on that.

If you don't do the fourth step (it's a little surprising that you have to, IMO), BW won't copy.

I hope that helps.

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

John,

Two questions:

Does Control-C (keyboard shortcut for copying) work for you?

For the problem you describe, are you holding down the Control key on the keyboard and then right-click on selected text?

Thanks.
    Michael
    Last edited by MTan; 12-17-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Default Copy and Paste

Quote Originally Posted by MTan View Post
    John,

Two questions:

Does Control-C (keyboard shortcut for copying) work for you?

For the problem you describe, are you holding down the Control key on the keyboard and then right-click on selected text?

Thanks.
    Michael
    First: Using a MacBook Pro.
    2) When using a mouse the copy and paste works fine. I right click on text and copy to clipboard and paste into a document.
    3) When using laptop and no mouse the control click function doesn't work at all.
    4) Control - C does not work as suggested.
    5) Yes for problem I'm describing I am holding down the Control Key and than clicking hoping for the copy function to pop up. It doesn't. I get a circle with a line through it, indicating I assume function not available.

First: Using a MacBook Pro.
    2) When using a mouse the copy and paste works fine. I right click on text and copy to clipboard and paste into a document.
    3) When using laptop and no mouse the control click function doesn't work at all.
    4) Control - C does not work as suggested.
    5) Yes for problem I'm describing I am holding down the Control Key and than clicking hoping for the copy function to pop up. It doesn't. I get a circle with a line through it, indicating I assume function not available.
    John,

I realized after writing my last two posts that your problem was with the keyboard, and that I was talking about something different. Sorry about that.

I do see that you are talking about ctl + "c", which you mention several times in your latest message. I assume you do realize that this function in Mac is slightly different: it's actually "cmd" + "c". That's not the problem, is it?

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

John, I'm not aware of the Control-click to which you are referring (it doesn't do it in Windows either). If you're trying to get a context menu, can you just do a two-finger tap on the Mac's touchpad (the Mac's version of right-click)?

Michael

Default Two-Finger Tap

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    John, I'm not aware of the Control-click to which you are referring (it doesn't do it in Windows either). If you're trying to get a context menu, can you just do a two-finger tap on the Mac's touchpad (the Mac's version of right-click)?

Michael
    Yes, the two-finger tap resolved the issue. Thank you.

Just as a quick follow-up to this discussion, I notice there is indeed a difference between the two versions. In the PC native environment, if you select a text then right-click to open the context menu, when you then hover over "copy selected text", a second context menu opens, and nothing will happen until you click on that. In particular, you can click and click again on "copy selected text" and nothing will change, because BW is waiting for you to click on an option in the second context menu. Doing this second step will then copy the selected text (BTW, the copied text is not thus de-selected).

With BW in Mac, however, you can right-click on a selected word and the context menu will open; if you then hover over the "copy selected text" command, the second context menu will open, but unlike BW in Windows, you can actually click on that first menu; this will close the context menu and de-select the text. That's why I had trouble with it at first; the text being de-selected, I assumed it had been copied.

I don't know if this is the problem John is describing, but there is at any rate a discrepancy between the two versions.

BTW, while we're at it, I notice that the "copy to clipboard" function (i.e., ctl + shift + b) isn't really yet geared to Mac, either: normally, with Mac that would be alt + shift + b. This carryover from Windows makes for a little confusion. Perhaps this to will be improved in the official version?

Donald Cobb
    Aix-en-Provence, France

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Cobb View Post
    you can actually click on that first menu; this will close the context menu and de-select the text. ... BTW, while we're at it, I notice that the "copy to clipboard" function (i.e., ctl + shift + b) isn't really yet geared to Mac, either
    Donald, I've reproduced and noted the two things you report and have put them onto our list. Thanks!